Rack for an amp?

MikeGinIllinois

Hi, guys.

I posted a while back about getting an Ebay seller to ship his Cornwalls from Florida to Illinois and everyone here was very helpful. Thank you. [:)]

They were shipped via UPS and even though UPS gave them their "special" fragile handling both crossovers had come loose. However, my buddy and I reattached them and the speaker wires that had disattached and they sound just great. I'm powering them with a circa 1998(?) Yamaha R-V1105 and have found that the Yamaha doesn't have the oomph to give me solid resilient bass and the kind of tonal separation my buddy has going with his Cornwalls. In fact, at louder levels my amp will shut itself down due to a bass overload generated during a Lord of the Rings explosion.

So, I took the next step and bought a used Harman Kardon AVR 7200 on Ebay (http://tinyurl.com/2vprxc) because that's what my buddy has. I'm twinning my system to match his because his sounds just great.

The amp I bought weighs about 60 pounds. I'm thinking of using my Yamaha to power my rears because it's still a good ole' amp and will use the Harman Kardon for the Cornwalls. My problem is where to put the Harman Kardon receiver. I would like put it on top of my DVD player on one of the Cornwalls but I am afraid that 60+ pounds of weight is too much to rest on a DVD player. I was thinking that if I could find some kind of metal wire 'stand' that would hold a DVD player on the bottom and the Harman Kardon on top that would work. I need to run an optical cable and S-video cable from the DVD to the Harman so I would like them to be close together.

Does anyone know of such a 'stand'? Or, is it ill-advised to do this for some reason such as speaker vibration?

Thanks for any and all comments!

Mike Gallery

Crystal Lake, Illinois

Home Depot and Lowes sell some nice metal shelving units where you can adjust the height of the various shelves and all that. A good friend of mine uses it for holding all of his gear and TV and it works quite well.

Kinda like this:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=24190-34238-SHE05105&lpage=none

But you can get it in black and in all sorts of various sizes too.

I didn't look too hard to find the exact one, but it looks pretty nice in the right kind of decor.