Klipsch Chorus II Crossover

paully

I have decided to go ahead and move the

crossover onto an outboard crossover and put in new capacitors. For the moment I am going to just use Solen

and try boutique caps later. I will use screw down terminals so I can swap capacitors in and out. But I

wanted to check some things. How hard

is it to get the crossover out? Apparently it is inside the speaker on the back of the piece with

the speaker terminals. I can see that I

can just unscrew it but is the piece of metal glued to the speaker or does it

just come out? Am I going to damage

anything when removing it? How hard is

it to get the other items off of the actual crossover that I want to save such

as the transformer, inductors, etc Those appear

to be glued on from the picture I have seen and I dont want to replace those if I can save them but wonder

how much heat I need to put into it to get the glue to liquefy. Anyone who has done this with a Chorus or

Forte I would appreciate some pointers before I destroy anything.

Paully:

1) Remove screws that hold the terminal cup to the cabinet

2) Gently pull the terminal cup out. The crossover is a double stacked PCB that is fastened to the terminal cup with 4 screws AND two solder connections; the autoformer sits right beside the PCB.

3) The screws are easy to remove, but the board is soldered to the binding posts; you MUST de-solder the posts and get them loose from the board; it's not a simple task, there is little room to maneuver a soldering iron, and the solder is thick.

4) With the board loose, you can access the components (oops - don't forget that the autoformer must be unscrewed too, so it can move). Now you have the board combo and an autoformer, and you must determine how to best mount it to another platform. You'll also need to figure out which components have the easiest access, what component sizes you will need to fit the existing boards, and then desolder/resolder everything.

5) Then, you need to figure out how you will interface the crossover board to the terminal cup - and how you will get three pairs of wires into the cabinet with the crossover outboard. Not an easy task.

That's it in a nutshell. Or, you could simply purchase a ready made replacement crossover (like my K-stack), and send me the terminal cup to modify and prewire so you could avoid all the other things you'll have to do. Then, you can be amazed at the difference it makes, and join others who are enjoying the same result.

Yes, that's a shameless plug - write me if you need more info - but seriously, the Chorus terminal cup and network setup is a nightmare compared to the Forte (or others), and your plan will be very difficult to pull off. I'm not saying it can't be done, or you can't do it, but it's not a simple, straightforward rework, and I would not recommend it to a first time upgrader. Your actual mileage may vary.

Hope this helps to at least give you an idea of what would be involved.

Chris

the Chorus terminal cup and network setup is a nightmare compared to
the Forte (or others), and your plan will be very difficult to pull
off. I'm not saying it can't be done, or you can't do it, but it's not
a simple, straightforward rework, and I would not recommend it to a
first time upgrader.

=======================

Agreed

That is why I waited to respond. It could be too much consternation for a novice solder slinger. I am poor at soldering when I have enough room let alone this crowded condition.

It does help and I appreciate it. I haven't done a crossover

though I have built multiple amps and preamps. I will also have

an electrical engineer here to help me out with the build who has been

doing this sort of thing for 30 years. I will forward what you

have written to him and then decide if it is really something I want to

tackle. I will let you know if I decide not to rick screwing it

up as I want to improve the sound not break my new speakers.