Problems with PowerDVD 4.0...

AudioMan2703

I have a problem with the PowerDVD 4.0 i just downloaded off Kazzaa.I play a DVD and it plays for anywhere from 2 to 40 minutes and then freezes up.I have to restart with the power button.(On the computer)It happens wether or not hardware accel. is on or off.Is it that a disc may be scratched?My discs may have a few tiny scraches but not enough to stop the player! (?)

------------------

~You laugh because im diffrent,i laugh because your ugly~

GreenDay Rules!

that is crazy! LoL! never has happened to me... check to make sure you have the latest sound card, video card, and dvd driver drivers and patches.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150

I can't update my video card because everytime i get a new detinator driver it screws up my pc!(TNT2)(Gateway)My soundcard is fine.(SBLIVE Value)It may just be that my pc sucks!Its been giving me trouble since it hit its 2 year mark!My other cinimaster player is fine.

------------------

GreenDay Rules!

This message has been edited by AudioMan2703 on 12-30-2001 at 03:14 PM

I found the problem,need a solution.It only freezes when PowerDVD is in 4 speaker output.I want to use 4 speaker,but right now it only works flawlessly with 2 speaker output.Any suggestions?My souncard is updated already so its not the drivers.Help!

------------------

GreenDay Rules!

don't you love it when things make no sense? I don't know what to say besides get a new computer LoL!

honestly though, do reformat your computer. it will delete EVERYTHING off of it and make a new, fresh, clean start. it seems to fix a lot of problems, i bet it will fix this one Smile.gif just back up what you need to back up Smile.gif i did say 5 reformats with my SONY, only needed to do one with my 7 year old Compaq! but it got struck by lightening so give it a break! it still works, 7 years old and been fried once!... dropped once and when we opened it at 5 years old all you could see was dust, solid dust! talk about a fire hazard! LoL!

------------------

-justin

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

But if i reformat i will lose kazzaa and powerDVD and i will have to rip all my cd's again!This Sucks!!!!cwm23.gif

Andi don't have a cd burner to copy the files onto.(I knew i should have included that option,Damn)

I used to have a 6 year old Tiger Systems Computer that is 266MHZ.It just plain sucks!It runs like a 100MHZ and the soundcard screws up in the left channel.(Sometimes right one.)

My gateway is obviously on its way there too!cwm45.gif

------------------

GreenDay Rules!

here... do you have a good friend that has a decent computer with some extra hard drive space? if so, you could do this...

network teh two computer, back up everything of yours onto his and then reformat, only back up what you must.

two easy ways to do this. get to NIC cards, like 10 bucks each, and a hub. network them, help for this is ALL over the net.

the other way is via a usb network... this is even easier but might cost more.

then there are always the option of getting a 40 dollar hard drive, backing up everything to it, take it out, reformat the computer, put it back in and your set. Smile.gif and you got an extra harddrive! Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

well, actually, i was talking about an internal hard drive, 40 bucks would get ya like 20-30 gb's. youdon't need a 7200rmp hard drive, just a decent one.

for external... really don't know how much they cost, but i will look around.

------------------

-justin

external harddrives are not cheap...

http://all.search.shopping.yahoo.com/search/all?p=external+harddrive&Y=0&mid=&did=&pf=&pt=&X=2&r=&f=14489115&q=&rkeys=&clink=

but youc an find those backup ones for not a bad price. forgot what the real name is for them...

i highly recommend dirtcheapdrives.com we have gotton lots of harddrives from them. they are realy cheap too!

------------------

-justin

well, my computer has and extra hard drive slot so i just placed it in there, plugged in the cord and it was recognized it..... this was like 5 years ago, it was a 300mb hard drive LoL! go to sharkyforum.com or sharkyforums.com and ask there, they are extremely nice and very helpful Smile.gif like Klipsch but for the computer and VERY large community Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

Here's a tip if you don't want to reformat your harddrive:

1.First copy your master windows files to your harddrive (examples--> d:\win98).

2.Make a boot disk with smartdrive files (optional) on it. Find smartdrv.exe file from DOS. (What's smartdrive for? Well...in the next chapter you'll find).

3.Shut down into MS DOS Mode

4.Run your smartdrive from the bootdisk (the file is smartdrv.exe OK?)

5.Deltree your Program Files directory (examples--> deltree c:\progra~1)

The smartdrive that you'd run before will make this task more faster! But if you couldn't find smartdrive, it's okay. But you'll gonna wait for longer time.

6.Deltree your windows directory (examples--> deltree c:\windows)

7.After that...install windows from your harddrive (examples---> d:\win98\setup)

8.Tadaa....a brand new fresh windows without wiping out your harddisk!

WOW!!!!!!!

this will work with WinME right? maybe i can salvage my Sony... so, all i need to do is this? do not need any cd's or anything?

wow, this will be great. gonna try it out. i won't loose any of my like 5000+ mp3's?!

------------------

-justin

quote:

Originally posted by AudioMan2703:

What the hell is a Deltree?

This program works like many other erase systems used in system such has Macs, Windows, KDE and so on, by moving files or directories that are suppose to be erased into a temporary directory, from there the data can be recovered or finally erased.

The main difference here is that Deltree works in Unix Text Mode and there for can run just about anywhere. It also support most of the Unix rm command syntax so can be used to "replace" it, using a alias (ex: alias rm='deltree').

It's also done using a very portable shell language that it's compatible with bash and ksh.

------------------

-justin

That info comes from the Deltree Project just incase you want some more info on it Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

To tell the truth, I never tried... or in another words... I won't try WINME.

WINME is the most unstable OS I ever saw. The fact that it is a failure product is unavoidable. Still to me WIN98 SE is the best for easiness and comfort. Win2000 can give you better stability though. I can burn-in the fly AudioCD while listening to my MP3's with Win2000 :-)

Yes Justin, if you used FAT32 then you can adapt my tips.

The file deltree.exe is in windows\command directory.

Remember to copy the win98 master installation first into your harddrive.

Good luck!

So i take the master windows files off the win98 disk and then deltree my program files directory.From there i deltree my windows directory and then install windowns from the files i took of the 98 disk?Where do i put the win98 files i took off the disk?(Before i install)

------------------

GreenDay Rules!

"Im a newbie at anything physical,but i can talk alot"-Me

"Where do i put the win98 files i took off the disk?(Before i install)"

So...here's the idea once again...

The deltree usage is off course ONLY for deleting your program files (progra~1) directory and windows directory. So your other files/directory are not deleted. They're safe and sound as long as you don't deltree them. Off course you're gonna need to install all of your applications such as MS Office, Coreldraw, etc again.

You can copy your win98 master or installation file into your harddrive anywhere, for example---> c:\install\win98

so you can install a fresh windows from MS DOS mode:

c:\install\win98\setup.exe

Hope this will help those who wants to install new OS without formatting their harddrive.

Good luck!