Modern Vinyl Mastering / Recording

GRB

Evening folks. I searched the forum and didn't find anything about this web-site so I thought I would post a note about it. The site is http://www.recordtech.com/lp.htm. It is the AcousTech site and contains some really interesting information regarding vinyl mastering and modern record production. Really interesting article by Kevin Gray (their engineer and probably known to some folks here) regarding making a record and in particular the limitations of vinyl and CD mastering and recording. He talks about compression and modern "hot" recording of CD's. When you go to the site click "making good vinyl" under the odds and ends. There are also some very interestng enlarged pictures of vinyl grooves and explanations of the problems associated with dynamic range, timing and such things as treble sibilance and bass focus. Lots of other good stuff on here as well. Interesting reading. Enjoy.

• Like 1

Interesting read. Thanks for the link.

Kevin Gray and Steve Hoffman (as well as others) have done a great job over the past few years remastering many of the most popular albums of our time. A good portion of my music allowance these days have gone to these pressings and I have a feeling that with the soon to be released Blue Note 45 series, quite a bit of my future audio fund will also be spent there.

While they might seem on the expensive side now, take a look at the price of the Classic Record's reissues of the Led Zeppelin LPs that came out just a couple years ago. Now that they are out of print, sealed copies are being sold by Elusive Disk and Acoustic Sounds for 2 to 3 times the original price, sometimes more! There's a few I wish I'd never opened!!