2-channel playback questions.

UFObuster

I just want to understand what the 2-channel options that I have really do. I think I know, but I'll float the question:

...I have the Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro. I play back CDs with a Denon 3910. I also have a Yamaha DVD-C750 reserved for it's 5-tray "party-pack" playback of CDs.

...The RSP-1068 gives me options: 2-channel "bypass" , 2-channel stereo (sub is present) or 2-channel PCM. I have analog cables from the Denon and optical from the Denon and Yammi.

...I'm set up for 2 channel with a separate Rotel RB-1080 amp to my Klipsch RF-7 speakers. I also have the 'pure direct' mode off of the Denon. I'm guessing that it's a matter of which DAC is used. I'm also guessing that the 'best' 2 channel that I'll get is from the Denon 'pure direct' to the 'bypass' mode of the 1068.

I'd love to have a better technical explaination of what is going on with these options. Your comments appreciated.

Thanks

Roger

I just want to understand what the 2-channel options that I have really do. I think I know, but I'll float the question:
...I have the Rotel RSP-1068 pre/pro. I play back CDs with a Denon 3910. I also have a Yamaha DVD-C750 reserved for it's 5-tray "party-pack" playback of CDs.
...The RSP-1068 gives me options: 2-channel "bypass" , 2-channel stereo (sub is present) or 2-channel PCM. I have analog cables from the Denon and optical from the Denon and Yammi.
...I'm set up for 2 channel with a separate Rotel RB-1080 amp to my Klipsch RF-7 speakers. I also have the 'pure direct' mode off of the Denon. I'm guessing that it's a matter of which DAC is used. I'm also guessing that the 'best' 2 channel that I'll get is from the Denon 'pure direct' to the 'bypass' mode of the 1068.
I'd love to have a better technical explaination of what is going on with these options. Your comments appreciated.
Thanks
Roger

Maybe I just made the question too difficult; I'll try again.

I know what PCM means. If CDs are recorded using PCM, which mode would I chose to hear it in for best results: analog 2-channel "by-pass" (a pre-amp option) or PCM-stereo (another pre-amp optiion). What are the technical differences and is it audible with good equipment? Anybody know this?

I do not have the RSP-1068 but do have a Rotel HT receiver.

On my receiver 2-channel bypass means "analog in / analog out" (no digital involvement) and no sub.

The 2-channel stereo (with sub) / PCM means "digital", that is the input is converted to digital from analog input and, of course, the PCM is already digital.  That is how it comes up with the sub output.  Then it is re-converted back to analog for passing on to the power amps.

I am fairly certain that is what you gear is doing, but I cannot guarantee that to be true.

If you want the sub send it the PCM and let the Rotel do all the converting.

If you do not want the sub you can let each player do the converting and sent analog to the Rotel.  Personally I would let the Rotel do that job.

Hope this helps.  It becomes a matter of deciding which component does the better job of converting A/D and D/A.

Thanks Klewless for the reply........I'm not an audio engineer but I want to understand what's happening. For anyone, see if I've got this right:
1) the CD is digital.....in PCM mode.
2) the CD player has a DAC onboard.
3) pre-pros and receivers have DACs onboard

So:
1) if I take analog from the CD player and use analog bypass in the Pre/pro.....I am using the player's DAC and I'm subject to it for quality. No bass management etc in the Rotel. Its only as good as the CD player makes it.
2) if I take the digital signal from the CD player..ie, thru the optical cable, then I'm using the pre/pro's DAC to convert to analog with the option of using bass management etc in the Rotel (or other pre-pro).

Question:
Unless the CD player is a damn good one with the most excellent DAC, why would anyone use the 2 channel bypass mode in a preamp or receiver? Wouldn't it make sense to use the pre-amp's internals playing back in stereo or PCM mode if the pre-amp is a good one?

It seems to me its all about signal processing and when it gets converted. Is this correct?

thanks again
Roger

UFObuster,

I have a Denon 3910 and an Anthem AVM-30. The Denon has an excellent DAC and so does the AVM-30. Though they both are higher end with their digital to analog processing, they do sound different. I have the coax going from the 3910 to the processor, optical going through a DEQ-2496 EQ (digital domain) to the processor, and analog going direct through the processor. This allows me to enjoy any of the different processing based on the mood and the music. So it all ends up to which DACs do you like better and also how much do you want to spend on cabling. Processing can get done at either place.