Horizontal placement of horn tweeter

LARRY

Please give opinions, suggestions, etc. on adding a horn tweeter to a Belle or Khorn in the horizontal plane rather than the vertical plane. The horn tweeters that I am considering are approximately 6" x 6" and this creates a very tall speaker, as well as a complete rework of the top part of the cabinet. I am interested in knowing if there are dispersion, time delay, etc. problems. Thanks for any help.

Larry

Vertical placement limits the signal alignment issues to the vertical plane. The relative offsets remain constant across the horizontal plane.

Horizontal placement of the driver creates offsetts in both the vertical and horizontal planes that can only be resolved to a single point..

I understand your concern, but I would stick with the vertical configuration, Adding the unit to the top need not involve more than a minimal amount of work (you can simply use a bracket or an L shaped finished wood mount providing a base and a baffle that can mount atop the KHorn....Why disfigure the KHorn itself and reduce its resale value to the internal components?).

Rework... BIG REWORK... At a minimum you'd have to completely disassemble the top section, cut a new K'horn driver board, shift the 400/401 to one side as far as it can go, then... Braces, flange interference, etc., vertical brace on 400 changes position, etc. etc. etc. etc. Then you'd have to mirror image the other one, etc.

Why would you do this when you can swap the K77 for a CT125?, or if you are that industrious, just go the route with the Altec horn, Beyma tweeter, etc.?

Mas,

Thanks for the reply. The midrage horn that I am using is JBL 2380A with a 2445J driver, 11 Inches high and is on top of a Belle bass horn (Top half put away, I would not 'hurt' a Klipsch product). I am also using the JBL setup on the left and right speakers which are D-Man Jamborees modified to have the same volume in the rear chamber as the Khorn. WAF is critical and with the Emminence horn (same as BEC, but larger) on top it is just too tall. However, I do not want to compromise the systems if there is going to be a 'perceived' difference in sound. On a scale of 1 to 10, how much will this degrade the sound?

Larry

The JBL 2380 is a constant directivity horn and needs EQ to sound right...A bit peaky in the midband. as far as the tweeter,,,,Think of it as a wide oval bubble pattern...directivity pattern ,,,diffraction type, wider in the verticle position. How mutch of a degrade in sound ? in my learned opinion a whopping 10...I did this setup many years ago...A big dissapointment.

"  How mutch of a degrade in sound ?  in my learned opinion a whopping 10...I did this setup many years ago...A big dissapointment."

agree...

do a root cause assesment and try to determine what problem needs to be solved.   

if you add a big tweeter, next you will need a big mid driver...then you will need a different bass solution....now your xovers need to be modified...it never ends.

Maron,

Your opinion is valued, so I will have to go vertical. I may try the Altec 511B with the JBL 2445J driver with a JBL adapter from 2 to 1 inch which according to JBL is ok up to 8000 Hz, and a BEC tweeter. Thanks for your input, this is the type of answer that is easy to understand.

Larry

Speakerfritz,

Thanks for the input. The Jamboree, along with the special 'steep slope' xover designed by ALK for 2 of the 4 ohm K33 woofers in parallel is my starting point. I have a pair of Klipsch Belles which allows me to compare the Jamboree to the Belle. It is necessary to increase the volume on the Belle by 2 Db to balance out the systems. That is the reason that I am interested in a higher output for the Midrange driver and the tweeter.

Larry

Larry,,,The reason for the 8k restriction in useing a reverse 2" to 1" adapter is because of what is called "back reflection du to slight constriction...It might not be audible if you keep the volume down to reasonable levels. (not concert hall levels) It dont hurt to try.