Faroudja or Reon, 2 questions

Martin the Vampire

Greetings,

I have 2 questions regarding the Faroudja and Reon chipsets. First question is: Which one is better for dvd upscaling?

Now on the 2nd question, I'll give alittle background. I'm interested in upgrading my receiver soon. I can't deceide between 2 models of Onkyos, the 805 or the 875. I'm using an Oppo dvd player with Faroudja. ( the older Oppo model 971) The Onkyo 805 also has Faroudja, but the 875 has the Reon. Would it be better to have the Reon equip receiver or the Faroudja one with my Oppo? The Oppo can only go to 1080i, and so I would figure on the receiver then making it 1080p. I don't have an hdtv yet, but soon I'll be getting a Samsung 81 series. Should I keep Faroudja with Faroudja, or would the more recent Reon chipset improve the picture even more?

Thank you

I can't really speak for faroudja, but I've played with the 875 at work and the Reon chip blew me away. We hooked up the Onkyo DV-SP405 upconverting dvd player to a Samsung 1080P LCD (I cannot remember the model off hand) over HDMI. At the same time we ran S-Video to the 875 and HDMI from there to the TV. The quality difference in upconversion between the DVD player and the 875 was incredible; everything was clearer and sharper through the 875 and the colors that much more pronounced. With that said, I'm not quite sure what chip set the DV-SP405 is using to upconvert, would be interesting to see a Faroudja vs. Reon demo. Maybe something I'll try at work. Ultimately, I'm not a big fan of double processing, too much opportunity for more artifacts, but the only way to be sure is to try it out.