Receiver or Integrated recommendations for 2.1 Klipschorn system...

formica

I'm looking to shuffle some equipment around at home and find myself looking for recommendations (and offers if applicable) for a nice used receiver to drive a pair of Klipschorns in a 2.1 channel

Features it must have:

- Excellent with music

- Phono preamp

- Subwoofer output (with built in crossover)

- Cost less than 450$

Since I don't need video switching, or any surround modes... I'm thinking that for that money I should be able to get an excellent, older, obsolete, Dolby HT unit. What models would you guys recommend?

ROb

PS: I would consider separates if the combined price falls into that range.

If you get an older Dolby ProLogic (non digital) receiver, remember that the bass management controls will be minimal but might work with your setup. The mains (Khorns) would always be run full range (no probleemo), but the sub output would more than likely be a fixed 110-150 Hz fixed with no on-screen controls. Still you could tweak the sub's LP filter and relative volume at the sub.

I'm still using it in a basement system, but something like a Yamaha RXV850 (or that genre) would probably be about right. 80 wpc across the front, lots FM presets, decent phono stage (lets face it, no receiver will have a really good one). This particular model had the precursor of the Zone 2 system, which was labeled as a separate REC OUT. I used to use it to copy LP or CD to CASS while watching movies on DVD. It was a good workhorse for a decade.

Michael

Yeah... I have an old Rotel Dolby THX preamp that I've used and still got kicking around. The subcrossover is fixed at 80Hz and it simply has a gain control, as was popular back then. It doesn't have a phono stage and obviously requires a separate power amp.

Even though it originally cost thousands, I doubt I could even get a 1/10th it's initial value now. Because of it's video and surround obsolescence... that generation of equipment isn't in very high demand. So I figured rather than buying an additional 2ch amp and phono preamp..... I should be able to get a better quality mid-fi all-in-one unit in the same price range.

So I was kinda looking for some suggestions of what would sound good from the likes of B&K, McIntosh, Aragon, Parasound, Rotel, etc.... that would fall into that range used (as well as make some small talk... ;).

ROb