Denon 3805 Question about a possible problem

upsonm

Hello all,

I am a newbie to the forum but a long time reader/lurker.

I just started using a Denon 3805 that I purchased off of Ebay. It is in excellent condition and has seen little use according to the seller. Problem is that when I turn it on, and there is no other sound in the room, I can hear the unit making a slight buzz/humm/hiss noise. Not sure how to describe it exactly, but it is there. I just want to make sure there isn't anything wrong with it? I had a Sony DE-845 prior to this which was totally silent at power up so I am not sure what the Denon should sound like. Thank you for your time.

Resp,

Mark

TDK,

Thank you very much for the response. Now that I think about it, you might also describe it as like faint constant ring noise, similair to what you might hear after lighting off a firecracker near your ear but quiter. Anything like that or total silence on yours?

Resp,

Mark

You mean like the high-pitched ring a tube TV gives off, almost in dog whistle range? Is it coming from the speakers or from the amp chassis itself? Is your amp properly grounded?

I have a Denon 1804, couple years old. Within the last year I have noticed a slight hum when it is on. If I very slightly pull up under the front right corner the hum goes away, release it and the hum is back. Suspect something inside is not grounded as well as when it was new. Otherwise no issues.

Gents,
I really appreciate the info.

TDK.....thanks for checking again and I hope that I haven't made you aware of something that will bug you like the tiny squeak in a car. I know that the sound somewhat decreases when I switch to the pure direct mode.

Y
ou mean like the high-pitched ring a tube TV gives off, almost in dog whistle range?

SROBAK, Yes, the sound is as you described and only emanates from the unit itself and there are no sounds coming from the speakers. None of the speaker hiss I have read about here. The closer I put my ear to the top of the unit, the better i can hear it. It is not something that I couldn't live with, I just want to make sure I didn't get a lemon.

As far as grounding the unit, well I might have to. For now i have only plugged it in, hooked up my RF3's and the DVD/CD player. The unit is more complex than my old Sony so I have some reading to do about grounding.

Thanks for the responses again,

Mark