I need Onkyo receiver help!!

fyremarble

Hey everybody! Well i didn't know where to put this so i went with general. Anyway i have an Onkyo SR-502 and i'm having a bit of difficulty with it. I've had it awhile and has served me VERY well. Music has always been my escape. I went out of town recently and when i returned home i tried to pick up where i left off, but no. I pressed the power button and it flashed on for like half a second and shut off immediately and the stand-by light came on. I checked to see that everything was plugged in properly. I don't know if this was the right thing to do, so please don't throw milk shakes at me, i kept pressing the on button untill finaly it came on, but the sound that came out was horrificly terrible and it was overly loud, so i went to adjust the volume and as soon as the knob was touched the receiver shut off again. While i was out of town some work was done to the house and i was told they messed with the breaker box. A friend of mine thinks that a fuse has blown, but i don't know jack about these kinds of things or how to fix them. What is going on with my reciever? Can this problem be fixed? If so how? How much will it cost me? If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it? Thank you in advance everyone.[*]

Yeah i tried that but it may have just been a loose plug, i moved out of that house maybe i should try again. Well i just tried it again and i'm afraid it didn't work. It stayed on a bit longer though, but maybe that was just my preception. Thank you anyway, it was good idea, but it didn't work. Keep up with the good ideas people.

Get a outlet tester an make sure your outlets are wired correctly..yous said some electrical works was happening..not cleaer where and hor it relates to you.

Can a surge damage the chips that control the internals...sure...what would be the next steps...take it to the shop....could be big bucks...you might be able to get a used one for the cost of the repairs...maybe.

Well i guess i need to take it to the shop, i'm new this area and i don't know whats around here that could help me. Well it seems the consesus is that i have a power supply problem. We moved into a brand new house that had just been built and as far as i know all the wiring is up to code. But either way i'd need an idea of cost. To be honest the receiver was a gift and i know how much it cost the person who gave me my system and it would mean more to me to get it fixed than just buy a new or used one. Is there anything I can do? I'll bet the warranty has run out already and even if it's not if i try to open it myself i can say "good-bye" to it. Well thank you everyone for your help, although i'm still not sure whats wrong. I'm sure y'all know how frustrated i am. Thanks again, and keep coming with the ideas.