How do you open KG 5.5's?

red_dragon

21 hours ago, Peacephrog69 said:

My 5.5 have started with a small rattle when I juice them hard

just curious…most people talk about the loose wires, but this is the first I’ve heard about the actual structure

i gotta figure it out

at normal levels I don’t hear it…and I just have a marantz 80x80x 7(Don’t use the others…not sure why I bought it just needed a receiver )

but I like a lot to goose them guys

KGs & KLF had pretty common cabinet issues,  its the glue they used that failed along with cheaper construction than heritage era models.  should be able to press firmly on the rear panel when its vibrating to determine if its the rear panel & roughly where on the panel its loose, do teh same on teh front panel to see if thats loose too. 

2 ways to fix it, easiest is to scrape out the old glue from inside seams then use a good strong glue like gorilla glue or a PL or liquid nails construction adhesive & apply it on all the inner seams, i have done this a few times on KGs & klipsch subs as well as other brands using gorilla glue & its worked excellent, made the cabinets stronger than they ever were from the factory. 

2nd way is to actually remove the rear panel (& front if its loose) & reglue it with either of the mentioned glues or a good wood glue.