Is there an easy way to Biamp my Khorn without a active crossover?

Dylanl

I read the post below and I am more confused than before. Can I run the woofer full range off the Dynaco 410 SS amp that I have and then use use the ALK crossovers and the Mark III's for the mids and highs ? Some said that the bass bin is run full range so I was wondering if this would work.

I need a step by step guide if this can be done.

Here is what Colin said he did: Like the Cornwall, the 15” woofer in the Khorn bass bin is run full range. The crossover limits the signal to the mid and high range horns. I am not really bi-amping, more like passive dual-amping. Against advice, I disconnected the top crossover network from the bottom cable connection plate on the bass bin and connected the two amplifiers to the two sets of outputs on my pre-amplifier.

This is what I would like to try.

Thanks

That would work.

But if you have the original xovers.....it would work better f you run the bass bin's thru the original xovers and the tops thru what you have now.

I took a leap of faith and I am running it that way now. Sounds good. Am I correct to assume from what I read that the khorn bass bin is run full range? If so then the woofer will roll off on its own right. The only concern would be clipping and how would I know?

Thanks

you don't have to worry about the bass bin running full range...it rolls off pretty quickly above 350hz..

i wouldn't worry about clipping with the 410/bass bin combo.....that 410 is 200 WPC

I took a leap of faith and I am running it that way now. Sounds good. Am I correct to assume from what I read that the khorn bass bin is run full range? If so then the woofer will roll off on its own right. The only concern would be clipping and how would I know?

Thanks

From what I've read, clipping should not be a concern, but some have cautioned (including McIntosh on their web site) that using a tube amp(s) on the top end, sending it a full signal and then shunting off part of the bottom on the crossover end, can lead to excessive heat with the tube amp(s), which theoretically could cause damage. I do not understand the science of it, but I've done fool's dual amping such as you are doing. My concern about harming tube amps on the top end led me to use inline crossovers (fomods), plug and play, in advance of the tube amps to cut down on the signal. They run about twenty-five bucks a pair.

If you are interested more, pm me.

Carl.