Diy speaker project

Zbullet

Ok so a friend and I have decided to build 2 channel speakers. We have both had Klipsch in the past and thought it would be a cool project. We plan on designing the boxes ourselves, so we are not really trying to duplicate any one given speaker. One of the best sounding speakers I had ever heard were Carver AL series speakers. If you haven't seen them they are one really tall ribbon with a base box attached. Anyway they had a really silky smooth mid and high to them. Of course that could be from looking back through 12 to 13 years of haze. The ribbon portion would be hard to try to reproduce sooo. I then started thinking about other speakers I really liked the sound from, and my mind landed on the Forte II's. I really loved the mid and tweet from those.

So to my actual question. Are the replacement drivers that you would order from Klipsch now anywhere near the quality and sound of the original speakers?

When I recently bought speakers I listened to the RF7 and their replacements and I was pretty underwhelmed by them. Just curious as to your guys thoughts and any words of wisdom.