Overkill: Noun, Adjective or Verb?

As some of you know, I'm in the process of designing/building my own HT/ 2-channel set-up in my quite small room measuring 12' x 14'ish (quite spacious for a secondary bedroom). The name of my game has been crafting a system that will meet my audio/video expectations (high) while suiting my budget (low). As I stated before, I work in a place where people wear blue shirts and there is a big yellow tag over the front door, and most of my fellow home theater "experts" think that I am going way overkill on my speaker / receiver selection. Some also claim that I am going to acoustically "murder" my room. While I think appropriate room treatments can cure or at least aid the latter problem, I can't decide if they have a point with their former statement.

As it stands now, (and I've pretty much made up my mind) my audio/video equipment will be such:

Pioneer Elite VSX-92TXH receiver
Pioneer Elite DV-48AV DVD player
RF-82 fronts
RB-61 rears
RC-52 center
RW-12D sub
Sharp 46" or 52" D64U-series LCD (another overkill topic)

Keep in mind I will be moving out of my current residence two years at the most, so I'd like to have a system that can be suited for a larger venue.

most of my fellow home theater "experts" think that I am going way overkill on my speaker / receiver selection. Some also claim that I am going to acoustically "murder" my room. While I think appropriate room treatments can cure or at least aid the latter problem, I can't decide if they have a point with their former statement.

Room acoustics do not depend upon the ratings of your equipment. The fact that an amp may be rated at 500 MegaWatts is superfluous.

Yes, you can overdrive a room. But the primary solution for that is the volume control.

the room is kinda small to do anything impressive with... except be loud, and have halfway decent sound quality due to your speaks and components... :) So yeah - with the idea in mind of moving to a larger room which will let you arrange things to get good surround imaging... I say go for it. Those are all great speaker components... I can't speak for the rest of the gear, but the Elite lines are usually damn good for the time. :) Go for it!

Otherwise - I agree with mas... the acoustical quality of a room has nothing to do with the equipment's specs - other than if you had a really bright room and put in some speakers that had no bottom end on them, and un-balanced highs. Doesn't matter how many watts you throw at the room - it will still sound the same.

Overkill? How about running 3 20 amp circuits to support 3 very hungry pro amplifiers.... that can support the bottom end of a large concert. Big Smile

Must have Crown or QSC...

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This

o·ver·kill premium.gifthinsp.pngspeaker.gif /'o?thinsp.pngv?r?k?l/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[oh-ver-kil] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –noun

1. the capacity of a nation to destroy, by nuclear weapons, more of an enemy than would be necessary for a military victory.

2. an instance of such destruction.

3. an excess of what is required or suitable, as because of zeal or misjudgment.