Heresy took a digger

tgourlie

One of my Heresy II's decided to fault. The silver wire running from the basket to the cone broke off this morning. It broke right next to the cone so it is very difficult to fix. I tried soddering it back together, it worked for a while then the sodder broke off. I'm thinking if I sodder it so it works, and then put this black stuff (see photo, stuff right below the dust cap holding the thin wire against the cone) on and around it to hold it, it may work.

Any help/suggestions. Does anyone know what this black stuff is and where I can find some?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

That silver wire is called "tinsel" (because that's what it looks like). Very unusual for it to fail, but it is where alot of flexing is done as the cone moves in and out. Any good, stong cement (like epoxy) would do what you want - add mechanical strength to the solder at the back of the cone where the tinsel connects. Don't use too much or get it on too much of the rest of the tinsel - you want that to be able to flex. If that doesn't work, you may be looking at ordering a new woofer from Klipsch.

Good luck!