Help w/cornwall clones

cyscott

Hello,

I'm working on a DIY speaker project. I'm not reinventing the wheel but trying to clone an old standby the klipsch cornwall. For those that aren't familiar these are a large ducted port design. I don't really want to buy a 20+ year old set of speakers and besides the last set I saw on ebay sold for over $1100. I don't plan to make an exact copy but a similar speaker. I'm trying to do this for under $600 so speaker price is a concern. After looking at available drivers I selected (purchaced) the 15" dayton series II woofers. This Speaker most closely matches the cornwall cabinet size and should (if my computer model is correct) actually have a wider responce (20hz to 1000hz) than the original. The horn I have selected for the mid is 90x40 exponential horn and I'm looking at using a selinium d250 driver having a responce of 400hz to 9khz. The tweeter is a tuff one to figure but after looking at the options I think I can make a motorola 90x40 exponential horn tweeter work. I know this are probly not the best but since the cross over will be fairly high (6k) it should preform pretty well up to over 20k. Another factor in the selection of the mid and tweeter is the diphram type. Since the original speakers use a phenolic diaphragm I thought it best to use drivers that had the same type. All of the other better horn drivers I looked at had titanium drivers and I suspect that they would not sound right. I am planing to crossover the system with the same type used by klipsch but perhaps add a filter on the woofer to smooth responce. I really love the sound of these old horn speakers and am hoping to get pretty close if not better them. The crossovers points I'm looking at making are at 600hz and 6000hz which should work with the drivers I'm looking at. Any comments and/or suggestions for improvement on this project/design are welcome.

regards,

cyscott

From: jwgorman@collins.rockwell.com / Block Address / Add to Address Book

Subject: Re: engineering

To: "dennis kleitsch" <dkleitsch@yahoo.com>

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 09:15:11 -0500

That sounds interesting, cornwall knockoffs, we could always call them

clipsch kornwalls. Any other copyright infringements we'd be violating?

dennis kleitsch <dkleitsch@yahoo.com> on 04/19/2001 06:37:40 AM

To: jwgorman@collins.rockwell.com

cc:

Subject: Re: engineering

djk: HERITAGE PARTS PRICE LIST

KLIPSCH PART # MSRP

K-33-E WOOFER 121501 100.00

K-75-K TWEETER 129010 60.00

K-52-K MIDRANGE 160708 62.00

K-703 HORN 130024 30.00

Why fool around? $504 a pair MSRP plus networks.Original Cornwall

woofer, Forte tweeter, Cornwall II midrange driver,

midrange horn used in CF2 and KLF30. I can design the

networks.Maybe throw in a pair of LOGO 070201 LA

SCALA, BELLE, K-HORN, COPPER 8.00 too.Kind of scary?

--- jwgorman@collins.rockwell.com wrote:

>

> Denny,

> I was thinking of using parts which are currently in

> production. Perhaps I

> should explain further. I made a couple of cabinets

> with Delta 15s and