SUB 12 vs RW-12

apkaman

Hello,

Should I go for SUB-12 or RW-12. RW-12 seems to be the discontinued model from Klipsch and the newer version is RW-12d. When I reviewed the specs the only major difference between RW-12 and RW-12d is the user presttable settings and modes. Is there any way we can change the crossover from the receiver to achieve the same performance in RW-12 as RW-12d?

I need help to choose between SUB-12 or RW-12 as RW-12 is selling for just $299 versus SUB-12 is for $500 and I thought RW-12 is steal.

Thanks.

Hello. Not sure where you live, but you can find a brand new Sub-12 for around $400. Ya, the RW-12 in a nice sub and for $299, it is a decent price. But the Sub-12 is worth the extra $100. I have had the RW-12 and it didn't fill up my room the way I thought it would. I borrowed a Sub-12 from a friend and it was plenty. I believe it goes lower too. My advice, get the Sub-12 and you won't be dissapointed. It also depends on how big your room is and what reciever your running it with. Where do you live?

I'm just newbie here and thanks for your response.

My room size is 15 x 17 and I live in Bay Area, CA. Here Best Buy is the only store which sells SUB-12 and they discontinued it and their online pricing is $429 and it's backordered, not sure how long it takes to deliver.

I just looked at the specs for SUB-12 and RW-12( finally found in discontinued section) and it handled little bit lower freq better than SUB-12. I'm posting the specs. for your review also I have noticed that RW-12 is front firing vs SUB-12 is Front firing. $100 is not an issue as I thought reference series RW-12 subwoofer is better than SUB-12 and currently sold for lower price but need to hear from people who used both these sub woofers like you.

Do you know where they sell SUB-12 for $400?

RW-12 Specifications

frequency response 21-120Hz ±3dB
power handling FTC Rated Power: 340 watts continuous @ <2% THD / Dynamic Power*: 825 watts / *Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal operating condi
max continuous output 113dB @ 30Hz 1/8 space, 1 meter
low pass crossover Continuously variable from 40-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz
woofer K-1134-O 12" (30.48cm) Cerametallic® cone, steel frame
amplifier BASH® digital hybrid
phase Continuously variable from 0 to 180 degrees
enclosure material MDF
enclosure type Bass reflex via front-firing Corner Port™
inputs 2) High level speaker binding posts, 2) Line level RCA phono jacks, 1) Line level LFE jack
outputs None
auto power on 2 second ON delay, 15 minute OFF delay
dimensions 19" (48.3cm) x 14.6" (37.1cm) x 21" (53.3cm)
weight 49 lbs. (22.3kg)
finishes Black Ash vinyl veneer
voltage 110/120 VAC 60Hz
export voltage 230 VAC 50/60Hz
built from 2003

Synergy Sub-12 Specifications

frequency response 24Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB
power handling FTC Rated Power: 300 watts continuous @ 1% THD, Dynamic Power*: 650 watts
*Dynamic power indicates the actual power this amplifier will deliver to the woofer under normal operating conditions. While the FTC power rating indicates power available on a continuous, long-term basis, subwoofers do not rely on that type of power. Instead, the amplifier is called upon to deliver large, short-term peaks of power to be able to support the wide dynamics required by today’s digital music and movie formats. In addition to the required FTC power rating, we’ve provided the dynamic power rating as a better indication of the product’s true performance.
max continuous output 117dB @30 Hz 1/8 space 1 meter
crossover frequency Continuously variable from 40Hz-120Hz, 24dB/octave slope above 120Hz
woofer One 12” (30.5cm) driver
amplifier BASH
phase Switchable 0-180 degrees
enclosure type Bass-reflex via rear-firing, 4.5-inch round port
input connections Two line level/RCA phono jacks and two high level speaker terminals
auto power on 2 second ON delay; 15 minute OFF delay
dimensions 18.0” (45.7cm) H x 15.0” (38.1cm) W x 19.875” (50.5cm) D
weight 40 lbs. (18.2kg)
finishes Black
voltage 110/120 VAC 60Hz
export voltage 230v
built from 2005

I have the sub12 mated with RF35's (and other surround speakers). It makes for a great hammer... I have had it over a year now and no issues along with glorious performance. Bought mine new from BB for $388. You can still find them new in box on ebay, and possibly online BB. 2 of the 3 BBs local to me have them in stock.

This was not too detailed(my previous post)...it is not only about output. In this case the sound quality(definition,lack of coloration,impact and extension) is too similar,as the Sub12 is a much improved over the KSW12. It was improved to a point where Klipsch would have to improve the basic RT series.

To have a real jump in SQ we are talking the RT-10d and RT-12d. No less

Extanion and output are just a few of the many variables you should consider when shopping for a sub...or any speakers. Lack of added component coloration should rank high any colored piece cannot be transparent.

OT...

Of the various components only tubes add warmth that is magic when listening to some acoustic pieces. All other "colorations" are irritating IMO.And even then a well designed tube amp adds almost no character of its own,just a bit of that airy magic on the best recordings.

Tenor,

Yes, I do agree there are lot's of factors to consider not just the output alone. I'm not planning to buy KSW 12 which I'm not even considering at all.

I'm asking between RW-12 which is very similar to RW-12d except for the digital control and they sell it little cheaper than SUB-12. Actually I was considering the SUB-12 but after feedback from you folks, I'm really thinking about going to RW-10d or SUB-12.

Thanks.