I need some opinions on a pair of 1987 Khorns.

Old-Tube-Sound

Hi All,

I have a chance to pick up a pair pristine 1987 Khorns relatively cheap and want to know how do the quality and sound of the components in the 1987 Khorns compare to components in pre 1980 model Khorns. I will be going to see them later today and listening to them on the owners Denon HT receiver which will not give me a very good compairson to my own 1982 Khorns, So my question is how do the newer components stack up against the older components?

Well I went and checked them out and picked up the pair for $900.00...They are untouched and I got them from the original owner along with the original manuals and sales receipt and other than a 6" circular water stain on one of the top hats they are both in excellent condition. The crossovers are AK-2's, cabinets are walnut finish, I was suprised to see that the midrange horns were K-400's. Overall well worth the money I paid for them. Anybody got any advice on how to remove a water stain?

Hi All,

I have a chance to pick up a pair pristine 1987 Khorns relatively cheap and want to know how do the quality and sound of the components in the 1987 Khorns compare to components in pre 1980 model Khorns. I will be going to see them later today and listening to them on the owners Denon HT receiver which will not give me a very good compairson to my own 1982 Khorns, So my question is how do the newer components stack up against the older components?

...Or any other speaker you would listen to.

All the horn and tweeter and other mods talked about are mods to pursue with no big hurry before you understand the speakers in your room. Disagreements abound on caps in networks. In a dedicated 2 channel room why not change them out every 10 years? Less than a pair of tweaky low mid FI 1.5 meter interconnect like a Kimber Hero or the like as a DIY project.

I never auditioned my Chorus IIs or Belles. Never even considered it to be a need after my experience with 5 previous pairs of Klipsch speakers.