update forte II

riley804

• 5 months later...

I have been advised to be careful using the term BiAmp. Since you ask the question at all I assume you want to preserve the crossover functionality (low pass for the woofer and band/high-pass for the two horns). I guess that also means you don't intend to perform crossover before the power amplifiers. If all that is the case:

Remove the crossover unit from your speaker (mine is a Forte II) and you will notice that the woofer low-pass inductor-capacitor network is connected in parallel with the band/high-pass network. With two foil cuts you can completely isolate the low pass circuit.

In the end, in my case, I completely removed the low pass circuit from the crossover pc-board, and moved it (inductor and capacitor) to the far side of the cabinet. I did this because the high frequencies I was feeding to the low pass network, since I don't perform crossover before the power amp, were magnetically coupling to the high frequency section.

Be careful. Make sure you completely understand what you are doing before you start making changes.

I like the results. I think the imaging is improved with either twin amps per side or simple bi-wiring.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for this information for a long time. What did you do with the rear connections? I also have forteII's and was wondering if any of the new bi-wireable speakers' contact cups would work on the fortes(klf-30,etc). I was looking into the idea of tube mid/high and solid state to bass. Had also thought about a simple bi-wire setup from one solid-state amp.

john

What if you did use a crossover before the amps? What I was thinking of was disconnecting the woofer from the crossover, and replacing it with a 8-Ohm "Dummy" load like they use for bench testing amps (they also make 4-Ohm dummy-loads if required). Then using the existing crossover to connect the output from the Receiver (set to either "Large" or "Small" output, whichever is better). While the LFE/Subwoofer signal from the Receiver goes to another amp and then to the woofer. The reason for this would be having an extra Chorus/Forte/Quartet for the center channel, and wanting to use the center speaker's woofer and cabinet as a convienent sub-woofer. Aside from not using these speakers in the way they were designed, is this possible?

Thanks,

If its only a loss of power from the mid-hi amp, a resistor makes the most sense. That way the original x-over stays intact.

Update: Additional information on this topic is in the "General Questions" section under the topic: "2 components.....1 pair of speakers???"