Amp Question

jbd

I am looking at a receiver upgrade for a 7.1 HT system. I like the idea of multiple zones so I can install some outdoor speakers. The info on the Pioneer Elite that I am looking at says that I need to hook up a separate amp since all 7 speaker terminals will be in use.

1) Is the only way to power my additional speakers to hook up an amp to the receiver?

2) Would this involve spending several hundreds of $ more to add two outdoor speakers?

3) Not being familiar with amps, how does this change how the whole system is powered?

Thanks for the help!

I'll take a stab, although there may be ones with more knowledge come along and differ. It seems that your receiver has the ability to power 7 different speakers. If you run a 5.1 setup, you could assign the other 2 receiver amplified channels to a second (outdoor) zone. If you utilize a 7.1 configuration in your HT, there are no more amplified signals left for outdoors. There MAY be a 2 channel output in addition to the amplified 7 channels that you utilize in your HT. If that were the case you simply take RCA connectors from the 2 channel output from your receiver and run them to an external amplifier. From the amp, you run speaker wires to your outdoor speakers. The extra cost will be for the speakers themselves and the amp.

I wasn't anticipating adding another component, so the budget would only be a couple hundred bucks.

The noise doesn't concern me because the amp will be hooked up to outdoor speakers. I don't think I will be using the outdoor speakers when the rest of my HT is running inside (moive, tv, etc.). Although the amp will be placed in close proximity to the rest of the system, I don't think the noise will be a big deal.