double bandpass enclosure...

askbob1

has anyone here, ear, etc., ever built or heard a double bandpass enclosure where it is a bandpass on both sides of the speaker? i built one of these using a dual voice coil 15" sub back in 1990 for use in a car. just wondering if anyone has used this principle for a home setting. below 20hz or so, it was totally amazing. above 25-30hz it didn't have the punch of other typical designs.

Guest macbeth

do you mean a 6th order bandpass?

http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/6thorder.htm

the description on the link above is pretty good.

Implementation at the DIY level can range from OK to Very Bad - they are MUCH more complicated than a ported or 4th order bandpass.

My personal opinion is that for a driver as large as a 15", two sealed boxes with 1 driver each would give better performance for the same size

Most band pass sub I have heard are pure GARBAGE. Very efficient in a very narrow band,but sound quality...WHAT SOUND QUALITY.

There is a company in Australia who makes band pass subs, they are of very high output,built and offer surprising sound quality.All else was simply GARBAGE. Few have the knowledge to properly tackle and solve the second hand...nasties of band pass.

6th order, by the description, is what i was talking about. when orion was old school(1/2 ohm stable amps), they used to put out a monthly speaker build. i built several of the boxes that were cad designed to work with their kevlar woofers. the 6th order bandpass was by far the greatest output below 20hz or so. but, like mentioned above, the range was poor.