Pricing a pair of Speakerlab Khorns

tom b. 57

I picked up a pair of these last week for pretty cheap. I had to replace the tweeters in them. I replaced them with the tweeters from another pair of these that I had sitting in storage that I thought I might use for a project. Weighing all the possibilities and realizing that the cabinets on the ones I have in storage are a little too rough and since they are made from MDF and one of them is broken on the bottom, I decided to gut them and see what parts are good. Enough of that. I don't have the room at this time to keep the ones I just repaired and the cab's are in good shape and made of plywood. Everything works as it should with the exception of some scratchiness from the dirty attenuation pots for the mids and highs. I am just not sure what the fair market value of these things are. I am thinking around $600.00 to $700.00 but would like some feedback. I don't want to be too greedy but I don't want to short change myself either. The tweeters are Speakerlab 3500's(I believe Atlas), and the mid drivers look exactly like the ones in my Lascalas but they have no label. The mid horns are fiberglass with the Speakerlab name on them. I have not opened up the bottom bass box to check out the woofers because they sound great and I feel there is no need to. The xovers are the cheesy looking original ones but seem to be doing the job well.

Any ideas or thoughts on these beasts?

Any input would be appreciated. Oh, I am in the Seattle-Tacoma area. I'm not sure if the geography is going to play much into price.

Tom

One way of finding out what they are worth is to put them on ebay and see what the market will bring.

Speakerlab K's often are gotten for cheap because folks that search for klipschorns do not always do searches for speakerlab khorns.

In the area you are in the K's are probally a dime a dozen since thats where Speakerlab's home port was.

On the east coast, the K's do not do any better than 400 - 600 bucks and most of the time the 600 number is from folks who identified that the version in question has t-350's and their intent is to part out the K's anyway.

The woofers in the K's if original are 8 ohm square mag woofers that look alot like the older k-33's.....but they're 8 ohm versions.

If you have a set with T-350's and the metal cast HD350 horn with the PD5HV, the ebay demand for them would be higher.

OF course, the factory provide kit version often looked better than the home cut version. Like Electro-voice, speakerlab sold plans to folks who wanted to cut their own cabs.

Speakerlab had two versions of the 15 inch woofer. One was the W1508S which was the 8 ohm and the other was the W1504S which was a 4 ohm version. Both speakers had the large square magnet. The 4 ohm version actually is a little better than the K33E at the lower frequencies in the Khorn. Hope this info helps.

Larry

Speakerlab had two versions of the 15 inch woofer. One was the W1508S which was the 8 ohm and the other was the W1504S which was a 4 ohm version. Both speakers had the large square magnet. The 4 ohm version actually is a little better than the K33E at the lower frequencies in the Khorn. Hope this info helps.

Larry

I'm not sure what version of woofer is in these, but, they hit pretty low and hard. The xover, although not looking like much, seems to be pretty good. I get a pretty clean sound through the whole frequency range. If I had the room I would just keep these. As it is, I am in no hurry to sell, as I am having a pretty good time listening to them. I am listening to some classical guitar right now and these things are performing flawlessly. You never know, I may just change my mind and keep them until I can afford and accomodate the real deal.

Tom

Tom,

The Speakerlab bass horn, if it has the 39 inch throat and was made in the 1970's, is a carbon copy of the Real Khorn. I would suggest that you replace the crossover with a Klipsch type A..you can easily make this from plans available on the forum. The midrange horn is also a carbon copy of the Khorn and if it has an Atlas K55v driver that would be the same driver as Klipsch used (and still uses!). If you replace the EV horn tweeters with BEC tweeters, (available on the Klipsch forum from BEC then you will have a system that is technically an exact clone, a very inexpensive Khorn. Cosmetics can be changed by some cabinet work to look like the Khorn. I have a pair of these horns that I purchased new in 1972.. the cabinets were changed to look like the Klipschorn. If you have the 4 Ohm woofers and the above changes/upgrades, you have a Klipschorn clone! Make sure to replace the crossovers, as they are really 'garbage'.

Enjoy the speakers.

Larry