My pre-amp/power amp combo is complete!

wuzzzer

Seriously, can a really nice pre-amp make this big of a difference in sound quality?!?! For a few days I had been using my harman/kardon's pre-amp outputs into my new Rotel power amp. Today my Rotel pre-amp arrived. I think I got a pretty good deal on it ([;)])...it originally retailed at $1300 and I got it along with a Rotel AC-3 decoder that originally retailed at $1200 for a whopping $150.99 plus $35 shipping. I actually bought it for the pre-amp and the AC-3 processor is going to head back to eBay right away.

Back to the sound. At first my wife said it sounded bad. I thought something sounded odd about the sound too. I was playing U2's 18 singles CD. I turned it up and listened to it somewhat loudly for a minute or two. I then realized that it sounded AMAZING. I put in a different CD of a local band that was recorded live and I was completely floored by the improvement in sound quality. The high end was so smooth it seemed to sound muffled at first. I actually put my ear up to both tweeters to make sure they were still working! Now that I've listened more (albeit at low levels) I can tell that I am going to absolutely love the new sound! The Rotel/Rotel combo sure is an incredible match.

Each piece of the puzzle has resulted in better sound: Bob Crites' crossovers, Rotel power amp, Rotel pre-amp. Tomorrow I'll be taking delivery of the Cambridge Audio D500SE CD player that I bought from Audiogon. I really can't wait to listen to the Cambridge on the new setup.