Speaker Matching

Tuck08

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times -

How important is it to match speakers in a surround system? I'm in the process of putting this system together and currently have the following:

Onkyo tx sr 805 receiver / Klipsch sub 10 / Klipsch ss-1 rears. I'm looking to purchase fronts and centers ( 6.1 system ) next and looking for advice - Synergy or Reference . Thanks to anyone with input.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums! (aka the Madness)

Your question is a common one. The most important thing is to at least match the front three speakers. If you mix match them, when sound pans across (from left, to center, to the right) you will hear a difference in the sound and will sound unnatural. You want it to pan seamlessly through the three speakers. Manufacturers make sets of speakers that are timbre matched.

As far as recommendations, I recommend Reference all the way. You could pick up the RF-82's with a RC-62 and probably get away using your SS-1's for awhile until you can save up for some reference rears (maybe RB-51's or RB-61's).

It helps too that the copper woofers on the Reference line look sweeter than the Synergy series. :)