Mounting RSX-5's to the Ceiling

speechguy

Has anyone tried mounting any of the RSX series speakers to the ceiling? Because of my room layout, I need to mount the surrounds to the ceiling versus floor standing or mounting them on a back wall. As FYI, the RSX-5's would be matched with a pair of RF-52's, an RC-52 and an RW-10d subwoofer.

Sorry but all the information that I seen said that they have a keyhole for mounting. Is the keyhole on the bottom of the base or on the back of the speaker? If it is on the back of the speaker then you should be able to mount them on the back wall. Just make sure that you install them to a stud in the wall and not just anywhere.

James

BTW welcome to the family..

Looks like I'm opening new ground here -- once I get them installed, I'll let you know how it all works out. As more FYI, they're going into a large basement rec room, where the Home Theater is in one corner of the overall room. Thus, I can't mount the surrounds on the back wall or such. I could install built-in's into the ceiling, but one of the downsides of doing that is that the sound would resinate through to the upstairs. I have 9' ceilings in the basement, so having the speakers protrude down a foot won't be a "head banging" problem.

• 1 month later...

I've got the same issue as the OP, hence I have no choice but to use ceiling mounts.

They don't really have a standard keyhole. The mount on the bottom has an M-5 hole, not the 1/4 20 most mounts are designed for.

I'm probably going to end up tapping the M-5 hole out to 1/4 20 and add a shaped bushing so the lock nut actually does it's job.

Hmm, I'm not sure what you're suggesting with the "tapping the M-5 hole out to 1/4 20" and such, but it sounds like additional effort that's not needed. I mounted the RSX-5's to the ceiling without any problems. Two of the mounting screws are directly into the cieling joists, with the third anchored into the drywall. Again, I have 9' ceilings, if you have 8' then I'd be concerned a bit about taller people running into em. The "bleed through" of the sound to the upstairs isn't bad -- much less than some in-ceiling speakers that I have in other rooms of my basement. In terms of making it look nice, I got some black heat-shink tubing and used that to cover the speaker wires -- that's purely a visual item versus any sort of performance issue. It was easy to do and I think it makes the install look much nicer. Overall, I'd call it a success -- mounting RSX-5's to the ceiling works fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I did some test placements and the places I could mount them were too close to corners or deemed "too ugly" by my SO.

In the end I bought a pair of Sanus Hover stands that I will move into position for movies, but leave next to the TV when they're not in use. Wall mount will have to wait until we remodel at which point I will have a lot more wall to work with.

If anyone else is looking to use the Omni's you will have to fashion an adapter before they'll work.