can i replace the 2 front channel speakers with the rsx-4 speakers

jtf-2

http://www.klipsch.com/products/details/rsx-4.aspx

hello.i am a happy owner of the 5.1 ultra`s.no amp failures etc.i would however like to have a little better quality speakers when listening to music.will the rsx4 speakers work with the bash amp.

the specs for the bash amp are 60w per channel,when all channels are being driven.what would the output be when using only the 2 front channels and the sub when listening to music.

-would the rsx-4 speakers be too much for the bash amp to power cleanly.

it is not an option for me to abandon the ultra`s,

thanks for any input

Hi, they would work O.K but no big improvement IMO those rsx4 sound almost the same as the promedia ultra or maybe less since they are 8ohms and the ultra are 6ohm (power output would be the same on a 2 or 5 satellite setup), try to find bigger cones found on bookshelf speakers with 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 and try to get 6 ohms instead of 8 ohms..

I've enjoyed using a pair of RSX-4s with my Ultra. The RSX line has the advantage of a heavier, more rigid cabinet, which should provide more accurate reproduction at higher volumes. (I have not considered the Ultra or THX 5.1 speakers to be rattling or noticeably weak, though.) Since the 5.1 Promedia is designed with about a 120 Hz crossover, going to a 5 1/4 or 6 /12 midrange will not have the same advantage as a system where you can adjust the the crossover frequency to send signals to the satellites below 120 Hz. Going to an RSX-5 would probably be a waste, and the RSX-3 (from the iFi) would also be a nice match for the Promedia 5.1. One factor not mentioned other than impedance (8 ohm not drawing as much power as the designed 6 ohm), is the speaker efficiency--Promedia vs. RSX. I'd also recommend upgrading the speaker wire from 18 to 16 gauge, if you are using higher volumes. You don't have to get exotic insulation or special weaves; the biggest advantage is more copper allows lower resistance for more accurate reproduction at volume. I'd say the improvements are nothing major; Klipsch's 5.1 THX and Ultra satellites are already better than any other computer speakers I've seen.

• 1 month later...

so you think the RSX5's would be a waste???? I was thinking about replacing front's with 5's and rears with 4's then maybe upgrading the center at a later date.

Does all of this sound like a waste of time??? I thought I had read somewhere on the board that the 5's would be better since they would have more lows the standard

speakers do not have. Since I see Klispch never updating or replacing the 5.1's I would do a little upgrading myself :)

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

* Can serve as either a left or right monitor, and equally well as a surround speaker

* Delivers incredibly dynamic, accurate sound by coupling a 1-inch titanium dome compression driver to Klipsch's new round Micro Tractrix Horn

* Also employs a 4-inch long throw woofer powered by a unique neodymium motor structure to capture every sonic detail

* Cerametallic cone is lightweight with excellent rigidity, dramatically reducing resonance

* Capable of robust bass extending low enough for effective operation with today's built-in A/V preamp/processor & receiver crossovers