Replacing binding post on Forte?

gmc

Hello. I have been poking around this site for a few months, but this is my first post. Hopefully it is in the correct catagory.

I have been offered a pair of original Forte speakers for about half of what I see them selling for, but one of the speaker's binding posts has been broken off. I have not yet seen the speakers, so I can't answer any questions regarding the extent of the damage. All I have been told is that it looks like a new connector could be soldered into place.

Has anybody here had any experience replacing binding posts. Is it an easy fix, or would it be easier to replace the whole plate assembly? Are the parts still available from Klipsch? When I go to check them out, is there anything I should be looking for as far as collateral damage is concerned?

I was actually looking and saving up for a nice local pair of walnut Forte IIs, but if these are an easy fix, I can hardly pass them up. If the repair is going to run me over $100, or be a big headache, I would rather pass on these and put the money toward Forte IIs.

I appreciate any help that you can offer. Thanks.

The binding post can be replaced. You would have to take the terminal cup out and do some de-soldering and re-soldering on the inside. Does this pair of Fortes have the round or square terminal cup?

Bob Crites

I'm not sure. They were manufactured in 1986 if that tells you anything. I tried, but could not find a photo of the rear of that year's model. How likely is it that something internal was damaged when the binding post was broken?

Thank you for your input, Bob.

If the binding post just broke off and there is no damage to the plastic around it, replacement should be no problem. It is unlikely that anything else is damaged. I have replaced several of them.

Bob Crites