ALK universal gentle slopes?

WopOnTour

I rebuilt the AA networks in my 76 LaScalas about a year ago with a conbination of Solen and oil-filled motor run caps. They sound great IMO but I decided I would like to build and try out a set of ALK Universal gentle slope networks if only to improve stability to my Citation II and have began collecting the various parts.

But I recently ran into problems locating the Solen 1.3 mHy inductor. Turns out Solen no longer sells the solid core 12ga inductor and the Hepta Litz version has a different DCR. 1.3mHy 12g solid is .17 DCR and the Hepta Litz is .26

Does anyone have any idea if the 12ga Hepta litz version would still work OK despite the difference? What would the effect be to the frequency response of the woofer?
I've attached a copy of the schematic I'm using
Thanks
WopOnTour

post-19879-13819366569382_thumb.jpg

You call Al, he's very accessible. He will probably tell you two things 1) you can use a 14 AWG at that position, and 2) you don't even really need to use an air core if you don't want to. You can go with a nice steel laminate type from Madsound or PartsExpress (Erse Super 'Q').

You call Al, he's very accessible. He will probably tell you two things 1) you can use a 14 AWG at that position, and 2) you don't even really need to use an air core if you don't want to. You can go with a nice steel laminate type from Madsound or PartsExpress (Erse Super 'Q').

Thanks Dean, maybe I'll have to do that. I posted over in AK in case he was still hanging around there. I didnt really want to mess around with his formula...

On his web-site Al specifically mentions NOT to downgrade that inductor to 14g unless you want to be dissappointed

WOT

I don't see where he says that. It would be interesting if he did, because he used to use a 14AWG at that position. In all likelyhood he was specifically referring to the Litz coils in the high pass section -- he's pretty funny about those.:)

Actually I stand corrected. It WAS actually Al's comment embedded into one of the BOM lists I downladed off his site a couple years back. It was in fact referring to keeping with the Litz for the .2 and .3

Dean, given equal mHy having the DCR slightly HIGHER all it will do is roll-off a little sharper/quicker correct??

I guess could spend just a little bit more (another $20 each) and get the 1.3mHy 12gage from North Creek Audio, they advertize .16 DCR I'd perfer to stick to air core

WOT