Just Received My 1st 2 AP/AS Blue Note 45s

garymd

That would be Analogue Productions/Acoustic Sounds Blue Note 45 Series LPs. Last week they moved my serial number from the high 300s to #135. Someone obviously dropped out.

Tonight I will be listening to Jackie McLean's "Capuchin Swing" and Dexter Gordon's "Dexter Calling."

Anyone else get their order yet?

I took Mark's advice and called it a day. Problem is, my wife's office is in my 2-channel room and she has no desire to hear Dexter or Jackie while struggling with a brief she's been working on for two weeks now. Actually, she has no desire to hear them under the best of circumstances.[:(]

As soon as I have the chance, I'll let those interested know if these AP 45s sound as good as the Music Matters series.

I played sides 1 & 2 of both LPs at low volume. These results are very preliminary.

Dexter is like butta. He's far left, piano and bass are center and drums right. Since Dexter is the only horn, it's pretty straight forward and sounds fantastic. Dead quiet vinyl like the MMs LPs. I don't have the original, but to me Dexter's horn is not quite as vibrant as on many original BNs but that could be this particular recording or the low volume. His horn is VERY smooth sounding and I think just about anyone would enjoy this LP.

Jackie McLean, OTOH, is not for the jazz beginner. My wife BEGGED me to put on something else. It really is kind of "out there" and not one I highly recommend to those who desire a melody or don't go for the "random horn blowing" sessions. I also thought the recording was on the lean side compared to the MMs LPs. CouId be the volume again. Jackie's alto was far right while Blue Mitchell's trumpet was far left. The rhythm section was in the middle. I also do not have an original pressing of this LP so I have nothing to compare with. I might send this one to Allan for further review. I know he's a big JM fan. I'm not sure this one will get much action but I do have 2 more sides to hear.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for the review! I think I'll probably just buy random LP's from this series (based on others opinions), since I'm committed to the other series and money is tight at the moment. Are these the first 2 that have been released in the series so far?

Mike

PS. I had a nice dinner with Marty last night... I hope we can do the same one of these days.

Are these ONLY available on the subscription plan?

No. You can order them from Acoustic Sounds or Elusive Disc. There are some KILLER titles in this series so you might want to wait for one you know you'll like. Some of the more popular titles include Joe Henderson's Page One, Grant Green's Idle Moments, Lee Morgan's Leeway, Hank Mobley's A Caddy For Daddy, John Patton's Along Came John, Blue Train, etc. If you go on the AS website, you can get a list of the first 25.

The only advantages to the subscription are free shipping and the same # for all the titles. It'll cost you $100/month though.

Mike - We'll definitely get together one evening. Give me a call when you have some time.

After further review..........................

This series seems to be every bit as good as the MMs LPs. I played both at normal to high listening levels this evening and I have to say that Capuchin Swing might be the best sounding of all the BN 45s I've heard so far. The McLean pieces are definitely wild but the songs composed by pianist Walter Bishop, Jr. are really nice. "On The Lion," the last song on the LP, is by far my favorite. This LP is worth hanging on to for just that piece. Allan keeps telling me this kind of jazz will eventually grow on me but somehow I don't see it happening.

Allan keeps telling me this kind of jazz will eventually grow on me but somehow I don't see it happening.

Hmmmm....Sounds familiar! Indifferent

Nice report though!

god forbid art (appreciation) might involve learning something......

c&s

Oh, please. You judge without knowing the person or facts.

The fact that I don't like this particular type of jazz has nothing to do with art appreciation, expanding my knowledge, etc., etc., etc. In fact, I know the music pretty well. I just don't like some of it! Anyway, who died and left you in charge of my musical preferences? I didn't realize you'd been hiding out in my basement all this time checking out my listening habits to see if I'd given Jackie McLean enough of a chance. I don't like John Coltrane's "Ascension" LP either but I love most of his other recordings. Just out of curiosity, what do you think of "Ascension?"

out of curiosity, what do you think of "Ascension?"

Important piece. The record I acquired the moment it first came out now shows a lot of playing time. It is very familiar to me. It was much discussed and quite the event at the time. Waiting for the latest Trane recording to come out had always been an exciting thing right from the beginning, at least amongst the fans and musicians I used to know. I don't quite judge John Coltrane in the context your question seems to set up. At the time of its release there was a different context and history does not stand still for aesthetics or anything else. The "free jazz" thing had its historical moment and at the time we were excited about Ascension and other recordings in that context in that time of our lives, cannot say I play it much of late though.

Not that I care about your preferences (or mine for that matter), I would imagine there is other "later" Coltrane you don't play much now. Anyway, Mark is correct, I wasn't really addressing you but referring to past conversations I had with him. I would not recommend this period of jazz to Mark. His getting and liking Blue Trane appears to me to be a major breakthrough and a breaking down of aversion to what he thinks these improvising musicians actually do.

c&s