Troubles with my cheap Blue Liquid clone again

Colin

Troubles with my cheap Blue Liquid clone again. It is a 2-GB, 2.8-gHz dual core, with 250GB drive. I recently reformatted and re-installed XP Pro, Office and AVG.

This time the keyboard(s) didn’t work and now no I.E., even with strong wireless adapter and network signals. The PC is under warranty, but the seller is only available on weekends and I am going away this weekend, so that means 2 weeks before he can look at it.

I am running an external USB back up drive on it, but it says it is running at USB 1 - could that be causing the hardware problems, or did I simply pick up another virus?

What do I have to do to be completely protected against any external attacks?

• 1 month later...

That sucks.

One thing people need to remember is that XP is an old operating system. The hardware you are running is way newer than the driver set on the CD.

Make sure you download and install all the latest drivers for your PC hardware. Most motherboards come with a CD that includes drivers for the hardware that came on your motherboard. This includes the bus as well as any included hardware such as ethernet, sound etc.

Make sure your XP is up to the latese service pack. I think from a fresh XP SP2 CD rebuild there is probably 90 or so OS patches that need to be installed.

As for your last question, the only way to be completely protected is to never connect your computer to a network.

JM

I have been having problems with my new build and the keyboard was hardly ever detected on my USB connection. I put one of them ps/2 adapters on it to connect to that kind of port, and it seems to be fine now. Some drivers are a pain I couldn't get my onboard sound to work for nothing luckily I had a soundcard around from my last computer it works well.

I think JM covered things pretty well but I would like you to try this software the free version. "A squared Free"

http://www.emsisoft.com/en/software/free/

I was getting quite a bit of returning virus' and that program zapped em good. You should do things a certain way though. Download the program then update it, and exit.

Now go and set system restore 'off" ( right click computer). Boot up in safe mode and then run the program and delete all things it detects. Read them first before deleting just make sure it's nothing important, and most likely it won't be but just be safe and read everything first.

Reboot in normal mode.

Put back system restore if you like.

I have yet to get a returning virus. That program updates quite a bit.