Pro Media 4.1 Static /w or /wo power

Hi I have had a set of Pro Media 4.1s for about 7 years now and they have been working just great with the exception of some static when I adjust the volume using the control panel controls. That wasn't really a problem for me so I let it be. Then last night at 2 a.m. I woke up to an insanely loud hissing/staticky noise that scared the hell out of me. It was really confusing because I always turn the power off when I go to sleep. It took me a minute to realize I had to unplug the front left speaker to get it to stop.

This afternoon I did some more testing with it to see wether it was a speaker or a cable problem. I swapped all 4 speakers around and then I swapped the cables around and they all worked fine until I plugged them into the front left spot on the subwoofer. Every speaker I plugged into that slot gave off the annoying static/hissing noise even with the power off.

Does anyone know what the problem is? Did the system just crap out after 7 years or maybe its just some dirt / dust that got in the way or something? Any help on this would be awesome. Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I own several klipsch systems, about 15 of them actually and they are great speakers, don't judge all of them just because of a very small percentage of issues that you have come across. Consider how many of these systems have sold and how many people are happy with them. the problem is, not too many people that love their speakers come to write about it on the forums. Typically almost everyone on the forums has some kind of problem which when all you are reading about is problems it is hard to think about the millions of systems that people are not writing about.

well, that I can agree with, I think it would be nice if we are able to buy parts for these systems, I have one that is dead and I would love to be able to just buy the circuit/amp boards for it. instead it is sitting as a lump or a spare parts subwoofer. if you can find a system similiar you can probably just switch the board/amp that controls your Left Front Speaker.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...