Heads up, SoCal jazz fans!!!!!!

A couple of really neat things are happening next week here in L.A.

First, Freddie Hubbard will be at Catalina for three nights in celebration of his 70th with truly an ALL STAR band! Check out THIS lineup!! WOW!!!

Freddie has had all sorts of problems with his lip over the past decade, but reports are that when he played in New York a few weeks ago he sounded STRONG. In any case, it doesn't really matter if he's only a shadow of his former greatness (maybe the most "technically" gifted trumpet player ever--and that's saying something!!).
Second, and even BETTER news for me--JOHN HEARD RETURNS TO CHARLIE O'S!! on Friday, April 11!!!! John has had some health problems and has been off the scene for about 4-5 months, but he BACK next Friday!!! John is my favorite bass player--there's more SOUL in John playing three notes than most players show in an entire evening.
Friday night's lineup:
Justo Almario, tenor
Nate Morgan, piano
Lorca Hart, durms
and the GREAT JOHN HEARD on bass!!
MagicJohnBlue.jpg
Here's the entire April schedule for Charlie O's:
and John's website:

He's made a few gigs over the past few weeks, so I remain hopeful. It will be great to hear "Mr. Beautiful" again!

A pal of mine who lives in San Francisco heard this group at the new Yoshi's in SF a couple of days ago and said Cables played great and looked good too. He also said Freddie was almost a total disaster--couldn't play a lick, but the rest of the band was smokin' and it was ALMOST worth it! He said is was really a sad sight to see Freddie struggle to play a 2 chorus solo and then hang his head and let the other musicians blow the roof off.

OK. Just got back from the gig. George Cables looked a bit thin, but strong and PLAYED HIS BUTT OFF!! MAN OH MAN!! Hard to believe he had a kidney AND a liver transplant only 5 months ago. Fluid, funky, swinging--chops TOTALLY there. It was so great to hear him again! James Spaulding was really terrific too--I've been a fan for 30 years and this was only the third time I have been able to hear him perform. He blew the roof off on alto during an upbeat "Now's the Time" which opened the set and played a BEAUTIFUL and stirring flute solo on "Blue Spirits." Slide Hampton was equally fine and Roy McCurdy was Roy McCurdy--solid as can be--not a finer straight ahead jazz drummer working today in my opinion.

Freddie was in good spirits but his lip is gone. It was a struggle for him all evening--he was better than I feared he would be after the report from San Francisco, but still it was sad. He should have just CONDUCTED and told stories and left the horn in the dressing room. All I could think about was hearing him with Joe Henderson and Bobby Hutcherson at the old Keystone Korner in San Francisco back in the early 80's when he could do ANYTHING with a trumpet--I don't know how ANYONE could be more techincally brilliant that Freddie was in those years.

Still, its worth $25 to hear this band even if Freddie can't really play a lick any more.

Damn. Wish I could have been there. Glad to hear George Cables is back strong. I'd love to see James Spaulding play someday. His work on Duke Pearson's LPs was amazing.

If Freddie's playing was anything like what we saw at Kennedy Center last year, it's sad indeed. Really hard to watch those guys struggle like that. Makes you wince.

John Heard's return to Charlie O's was really something. The place was PACKED--standing room only at the bar--easily the biggest crowd I've seen in the place in a long, long time. The band was smokin'! From the first few notes of "Red Top" to the end some 3 hours later the band never let up--Nate Morgan was in top form, Lorca Hart was on fire, Justo was fabulous on tenor and flute and John Heard was STRONG and HAPPY playing his heart out--he was truly INSPIRED and I've never heard him play better.

WHAT A NIGHT!