5.1 reciever... what are my options

cruzin4life

Hi guys.

Im wanting to up grade my HK avt 520 becuase the center channel has gone out or it.. im want to replace it with some that would handle my kg 4s nicely along with a kv 1 and kg 1s.

im wanting to ge t them at least 100 watts rms as that is the continous power handling... im new at this so im no sure which numbers are more important as far as specifications. Anyhow, hoping for some advice on a reciecer either a specific one or maybe specifcation i should be looking ( becuase im told its not just wattage that matters). So i want to do the kg 4s right, and get them something good...

I was Very happy with my 520 untill the center channel went out. but itdidnt quit push um as much as i would like. I would like to spend around 300 to 500 on something used. i owuld like to get around 100 wpc. i know im not going to get something that is the best but i have seen some really nice yamahas and HKs and the like sell for around there just dont know if im looking for the right gear. hks seem to be lower watages but high amp yamahsa seem to have higher power but lower dynamic power or soemthing. what am i looking at could anyone give me a crash course so i can get somthing that is right for me?

thanks in advance

Why Buy Used ? ... $300 to $500 you can buy NEW ... www.vanns.com ... or many places on inter-net, HK has a site on there with refurbs, if that's your cup of tea .......... Ever think Panasonic Digital ? ............ I wouldn't buy used unless I knew the owner .......

example vanns ; Pioneer VSX918 VK ... 120 watts per X 5 .... $348.98 ... Free Shipping ... No Sales Tax ... Sealed NEW in box !!!!!!!!

wow thanks for the advice. i was looking around and saw quite a few decent units. what spesifications should i be looking for. and i guess the reason i would buy used is well.... all my stuff is used its whats in my buget and more times than not if i settle for something a couple years old its is usually a higher quallity for the price compared to the same money spent on a new one. kinda like buying a two year old vette Z06 too new a new one yes the new one is faster new and hasnt been put through its paces yet but the used one is still fast handles and half the price.

but i really like the pioneer reciever you showed me... is it a high current set up? what does high current acually mean... could you give me a crash course on what im looking for and why?

thanks in advance