Upgrading from ProMedia v2-400

acmestone

I've owned a ProMedia v2-400 set for several years now, with few complaints. The other day, I walked across my room and turned the subwoofer volume down, apparently carrying quite a bit of static along with me. This static discharged through the (what I thought was a dielectric) subwoofer volume knob to somewhere in the amp/subwoofer itself and it decided to disable my subwoofer for me. My 4 satellites work fine.

This was actually handy as it motivated me to purchase an audio receiver (the stereo from my PS3 to my PC to my v2-400 was nothing compared to the ability to recieve DTS on my receiver and hear 4 channels) -- a JVC RX-D205S ( http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelId=MODL027648&pathId=5&page=1 ) for around $160 on FRYs.com.

After perusing these boards, I've noticed more than a wealth of information on fixing a broken v2-400 subwoofer, so I'll bust out the trusty soldering iron and dive into the case later on this week armed with the existing success stories here. If I find a situation that cannot be solved by existing posts, I'll certainly post my problems.

My situation is pretty simple: I'm trying to upgrade to a 5.1 from my current 4.0 situation. I also want to retain the use of my JVC RX-D205. Currently the four Klipsch speakers work very well plugged into the JVC instead of the subwoofer/amp.

1) Subwoofer: Once I (hopefully) repair my v2-400 subwoofer, can I treat the v2-400 subwoofer (no satellites plugged in) as a powered subwoofer that I can connect to my subwoofer line out on the JVC Receiver? The receiver requires a powered subwoofer, so I think it isn't amplifying the subwoofer line out. A friend of mine suggested checking if I could output a powered speaker signal from the receiver as subwoofer only, but this receiver won't allow that (outputs subwoofer/LFE signal to powered subs only)

I picture myself wiring the first mini jack input into a coaxial adaptor and then plugging that directly in. If I could access the 1-channel line input to the powered subwoofer inside the box directly that would be even sweeter, in concept at least. If not, perhaps I could wire both of the stereo audio inputs into the subwoofer line out (1 channel base from Receiver --> 4 channels into PM4.1 amp/sub --> 1 channel sub)...?

2) Center speaker: I'd like to purchase a separate center speaker that would work nicely in my setup, but checking the available Klipsch speakers I see a lot of selections. Which one would complement/improve my v2-400 setup best? I'm budgeting below $300, but $100-$150 would be best.

I'd love any feedback on this, because it seems like I can definitely Frankenstein this awesome speaker set into 5.1-land if all goes well.

- Adam

1) Subwoofer: Once I (hopefully) repair my v2-400 subwoofer, can I treat the v2-400 subwoofer (no satellites plugged in) as a powered subwoofer that I can connect to my subwoofer line out on the JVC Receiver? The receiver requires a powered subwoofer, so I think it isn't amplifying the subwoofer line out. A friend of mine suggested checking if I could output a powered speaker signal from the receiver as subwoofer only, but this receiver won't allow that (outputs subwoofer/LFE signal to powered subs only)

I picture myself wiring the first mini jack input into a coaxial adaptor and then plugging that directly in. If I could access the 1-channel line input to the powered subwoofer inside the box directly that would be even sweeter, in concept at least. If not, perhaps I could wire both of the stereo audio inputs into the subwoofer line out (1 channel base from Receiver --> 4 channels into PM4.1 amp/sub --> 1 channel sub)...?

Your right on track. I think I know what your wanting to do. The v2-400's have the 1/8" jack on the cable which goes to the pod, that pod connects back to the sub unit. What you can do is get an RCA to 1/8" female adaptor to connect the jack from the pod to the LFE/subwoofer signal from the reciever. I hate stacking multiple adaptors, but you might have to get a RCA split for the single RCA LFE output to the create 2 Female RCA connectors which would connect to the 2 Male-to-1/8"Female adaptor, which then connects to your pod/subwoofer. That should be the 1-4 channels, which connects into the amp/sub.

The bass fro the subwoofer definately increases when the rear channels of the v.2-400 is driven.

The only concern I would have with doing this is that the subwoofer most likely has an internal crossover for the satelites. It's something to just keep in mind, even though your only feeding a LFE it.

2) Center speaker: I'd like to purchase a separate center speaker that would work nicely in my setup, but checking the available Klipsch speakers I see a lot of selections. Which one would complement/improve my v2-400 setup best? I'm budgeting below $300, but $100-$150 would be best.

Ebay for a promedia single speaker? It would match right up. Sonically a 5.1 or even a 5.1 would be close enough, maybe. I tried to swap in my Quinet III's center on my ultra 5.1 and it seemed to blend in pretty well. You mileage may vary.

Dan

Thanks for the response! This gives me the motivation to try to fix this sub right back up! [Y]

The bass fro the subwoofer definately increases when the rear channels of the v.2-400 is driven.

This helps a lot to know. Thanks!

The only concern I would have with doing this is that the subwoofer most likely has an internal crossover for the satelites. It's something to just keep in mind, even though your only feeding a LFE it.

1a) Could this cause anything dangerous? I don't know what internal crossover can do if I connected the inputs: 2 grounds (probably fine) and 4 signals (issues?).

I've seen mono-out to stereo-in before, and I haven't seen any negatives, but this BASH subwoofer can carry enough oomph to make me worry if I connected the 4 channels together to read the single bass input.

Also, the receiver I'm using can optionally (if no LFE) output "LFE + MAIN", which is the "bass elements of the front speakers' channels," so it's not necessarily just dolby digital/dts LFE.

1b) I think the cleanest way would be to wire the LFE directly into the un-amplified subwoofer input inside the box itself, if I could. I have no clue if the satellites are amplified on the same path as the subwoofer, and I don't know if I can get a circuit diagram, but I'd like to avoid the satellite circuitry altogether (since I'm going to be opening it up anyways). Any idea if this is possible?

2a) Center speaker: I've looked for a PM5.1 center speaker, but none have popped up on eBay yet. I've seen some other nice Klipsch ones on Amazon and eBay, like SC-1, SC.5, and C-1, within my price range. Would these go well in my setup as a new center speaker?

Adam

1a) Could this cause anything dangerous? I don't know what internal crossover can do if I connected the inputs: 2 grounds (probably fine) and 4 signals (issues?).

I wouldn't say dangerous, just may affect sound quality... i might be out on a limb. Give it a shot and see what happens. I've never done it myself, I've always had everything connected.

I've seen mono-out to stereo-in before, and I haven't seen any negatives, but this BASH subwoofer can carry enough oomph to make me worry if I connected the 4 channels together to read the single bass input.

To be safe try the one, and see how one goes first, need more bass, add in second, third, fourth.

Also, the receiver I'm using can optionally (if no LFE) output "LFE + MAIN", which is the "bass elements of the front speakers' channels," so it's not necessarily just dolby digital/dts LFE.

Your trying to use the systems as a dedicated subwoofer. It normally expects the full range singal from each channel. You can try the LFE+MAIN or just LFE. Experiment. Start at low volume and go up slowly, see if you hear any sonic differences.

1b) I think the cleanest way would be to wire the LFE directly into the un-amplified subwoofer input inside the box itself, if I could. I have no clue if the satellites are amplified on the same path as the subwoofer, and I don't know if I can get a circuit diagram, but I'd like to avoid the satellite circuitry altogether (since I'm going to be opening it up anyways). Any idea if this is possible?

Are you comfortable opening up and working on the amplifer? I doubt your going to find a schematic, so it would be interesting if you know what you where looking for in terms of tapping into, but I bet it would be tricky. I'm guessing the system uses a crossover to feed the signal to the sub, so you'd want to tap in after that, but what the exact operating range is would be unknown. I would expect the sub and sat amps to be after the crossover.

2a) Center speaker: I've looked for a PM5.1 center speaker, but none have popped up on eBay yet. I've seen some other nice Klipsch ones on Amazon and eBay, like SC-1, SC.5, and C-1, within my price range. Would these go well in my setup as a new center speaker?

I would think even a Promedia 2.1 satellite would be a closer match sonically, plus cheaper, I see a pair for $25, so you can just use one.

The last thing I can think of is that your still going to need use the control pod. Just to note.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My situation is pretty simple: I'm trying to upgrade to a 5.1 from my current 4.0 situation. I also want to retain the use of my JVC RX-D205. Currently the four Klipsch speakers work very well plugged into the JVC instead of the subwoofer/amp.

There are actually several issues with what you are wanting to do. First and foremost the v2.400 sub is going to be horrible as an HT sub. The design has a 40hz subsonic filter and a 60hz low pass filter. That is why the sub always sounds kind of boomy because it uses a ported enclosure with a very narrow passband. This is also why it is capable of the output it can produce. On top of this you will also have to use the control pod. The control pod contains the circuitry to sum the signals for the sub and is also were the circuitry for the sub-filter and the low pass.

What I would recommend is buying a subwoofer plate amp and just mounting it to your sub if you really want to use it.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-802

http://www.apexjr.com/MnK100MP.htm

Either of these would work great and they are only $100.

I'd love any feedback on this, because it seems like I can definitely Frankenstein this awesome speaker set into 5.1-land if all goes well.

- Adam

I would look on eBay and look for a center from one of the 5.1 systems that way the drivers match. They can usually be found for $25-50. Or you could look at the real Klipsch centers like the SC-1, KV-1, & KV-2.

Hope this helps, also sent you a PM