Dead Sub or Pre-Amp or what?

SWC

Hey all,

My buddy's 4.1's puked last night. The LED on the control pod is on, but all 4 speakers put out just a thin 'tinny' sound. Volume control still makes a small difference, but its obvious there is no power behind it, or to the sub.

I confirmed its not the sound card so something in the speakers must have blown.

We noticed that when we unplugged the power and plugged it back in, the sub still made the low "thump" sound it always does when its powered up. (Not sure if this helps anyone diagnose my problems).

Is there a fuse or something inside the sub case? This set is about two years old, purchased directly from Klipsch. How long is the warranty on these things?

Is my buddy screwed?

Thanks

Hmm - that makes sense. So - is the control pod something I can just take to a local TV/Audio repair shop? Or must I take it to an "authorized service center" (ugh)?

Does Klipsch sell just the control pod on its own? What do these cost?

My buddy immediately bought a set of creative 5.1's the day after his Klipsch fried, so I'm interested in seeing what it would cost to have this fixed so I can make him a reasonable offer to take them off his hands.

I already own a set Klipsch 4.1's myself - I don't know yet what I'd do with 2 sets if he was willing to sell his, but I'm sure I can think of something, heh heh. Hmm - use 2 audio Y cables to run a full set of 4.1's off both the front and rear audio jacks on my SB Live! card? That could be interesting......

Thanks!

Holy Cats! The new pods have an input and a headphone output? Too bad there's not a switch to turn off the mains and just run headphones....

(Or does it do that automatically when you plug the headphones in?)

You're right - it wouldn't be 8.2's, but - you could get a much fuller sound by running 4.1 off the front channel and 4.1 off the rear.

Wired up properly - the 'surround' knob for the front set would adjust the volume of the additional 2 front speakers for more 'fullness' (or just more volume). And the rears could be set up the same way.

With the right size room (and speaker placement) it could be pretty amazing.

you've never seen the headphone output and input on the control pod???

Then you must not have the 4.1's... you have the V.2-400. All 4.1 systems come with the new control pod... Just in case you're wondering - the new conrol pod does work with the V.2-400's

And there is a switch... its a button that allows you to mute all the sats and sub...

• 3 months later...

Does this new control pod come with all the cables as well? the picture just shows the plastic part. I'm curious because the 8 prong connector that goes into my subwoofer of my v2.400's broke and I just need to get that replaced. This control pod seemed like the closest thing, but does it have all the connectors? Help is appreciated!

the control pod has four parts.

1. the control pod itself

2. the DIN cable with 8 pins

3. the front speaker mini stereo cable

4. the rear speaker mini stereo cable

you don't open anything, just slide off the old control pod and slide on the new one, plug itinto the sound card and sub and your all set.

if you bring it to a shop locally that is not Klipsch authorized, you void your warranty. And it would probably cost close to the cost of a new control pod haha.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>