Sub Recommendations For Use With Belle's

While I'm for the most part content with the bass from my Belle's, I am leaning towards adding a sub to pick up that small portion of the lower end I know I'm missing. I only use them for music, no HT. I'm open to any firsthand experience recommendations for a sub with Belle's.

Thanks,

Marty

I use a Klipsch RSW 15 sub set to come in at 40 HZ with my Belle center channel and Klipschorn sides. There may be some RSW 15s left (they have been discontinued) in some dealerships, or at Klipsch (send a gang email). I would look for reduced prices. Make sure that any sub you get can gracefully equal the SPL output of the Belle, (which, at 104/105 dB @ 2.83V @ 1M, is about as sensitive/efficient as a speaker gets).

People rightfully wonder if a sub used with a nice, tight bass horn like the Belle or K-horn might degrade it with "floppy bass." For this reason, I originally intended to use the sub only with movies, but found that it balanced well with each of the three speakers individually and all together (including the Belle) and did not sound "floppy," providing I brought it in at 40 Hz. The Belle is speced at about 54 Hz (used to be 45 Hzm when the spec allowed a 5 dB decline instead of 3). My Belle in my room has a big peak at 60 Hz, and there is enough spill over on the Belle below 60 down to 40Hz, and on the sub above 40 to make for a superb, smooth blend.

Some recordings don't have much below 40 Hz, and some have a truck load!

Klipsch can recommend a newer sub that probably equals or betters mine. I hear the new ones are tighter and "faster," but it might not make a difference below 40.

Good Luck!