Good CD Changer--Rotel vs Denon

MBM135

Hey folks--having some trouble with my Denon DCM-370. It is not quite one year old and giving me fits. It has a static discharge problem that occurs frequently after the drawer is opened. Horrible loud output to my KG-4s. Have to cycle the power on the CD player to clear the fault. And, the drawer mechanism is making funny noises. Also, doesn't know how many disks are in etc. I expected more from Denon. But, it sounds awesome and the HDCD is incredible--can't live without it even though I have only a handful of HDCD disks.

So, I plan to either send it in and have it "fixed" or buy a different unit. I really want to stay with a CD changer. Too lazy to change disks. Does anybody have experience with the Rotel RCC-955? It has HDCD and may fit the bill. Not many reviews on it and the specs are not as good as the Denon. Not many 5 disk units with HDCD. The H/K line seems cheap to me. Any ideas?

Thanks experts!

Mike

Over the last dozen years, I have accumulated a used pair of big old Klipsch Cornwall horn speakers, a politely British Rotel CD player (new) and a used Dynaco Pas3 Series II tube pre-amp (remake of the original classic). Last year, I bought a 200-watt Klipsch sub-woofer, on clearance, for that wonderful bottom end in good recordings and movies. Last month, I popped for a new pair of custom Paramour mono blocks (2A3 tube) from Electronic Tonalities.

After a recommendation from Ralph Karsten, maker of Atmasphere OTL amps, who prefers old-fashioned vinyl (and now has a rebuilt turntable of his own, go to: http://www.atma-sphere.com/) I auditioned a pair of Rotel players. The single disc 951 player was slightly better than the five-disc carousal model. But the difference was not as significant as better cables or a disc mat or damping my horns. Both were better than any of the ones that I listened to at the local Sound Advice, including the higher-end models. I do not remember the names. But they all had a coldly clinical way of reproducing the music. More like a crude doctor than a friendly violinist. The British are known for a polite, flat, accurate sound with a very good attention to details. Telarcs digital 1812 Overture with its black powder cannon shots is not on their list of favorite Test CDs.

http://www.rotel.com/html/products7.html

I recently heard a wonderfully cohesive system with a liquid smooth mid-range and sparkling high-end. It was comprised of the French made Focal JM Labs speakers and French made Audio Refinement (YBA) components. The player, however, was the newest version of the British Rotel.

I have heard good things about Marantz units, especially those modified with tubes, like the Ah! $579 AH! NJOE TJOEB (pronounced "new tube") 4000 CD Player. See the also Heart CD 6000, also a Marantz modified player, at the same source: http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0102/heartcd6000.htm.

------------------

Colin's Music System Cornwall 1s & Klipsch subs; lights out & tubes glowing!