Academy Lovers

mbash

My recent experience with my Klipsch tech support is way above the norm in the real corporate world. My Academy fell on hard time recently my teenage boys turned up the movie Transformers and blew the woofers and tweeter. I called Klipsch and found out the woofers were no longer available for a Academy. Much to my surprise they suggested send an email to Michael Colter and advise him of my situation. He emailed me back and said he would investigate alternatives that sounded hopeful. Colterphoto I and Popbumper set up and tested the Academy and KLF C7 to see if a suitable replacement could be found and they did and recommended the KLF drive would work. I have since ordered my replacement drivers and am waiting on the arrival to post my response to the hard work of 2 fine gentlemen of the Klipsch Nation.

Gentlemen indeed. They're both terrific guys and both have helped me out during my stay here.

Chris builds great crossover upgrades for Academys in case you're considering one. It's well worth the money.

Then there's Mr. Colter. What can you say about my main man Michael Colter that hasn't been said before? He'd give you the shirt off his back if you asked. Just be careful not to ask.[:o] Seriously though, Klipsch got lucky when they hired Michael. If I were running the company, I'd want 10 guys just like him.

Good luck with your project and please post your results.

Thanks guys - Klipscher #2 was Trey Cannon, who is tutoring me in the ways of Anechoic Chamber. PopBumper does not work for Klipsch.

Results of our testing were inconclusive. The KLF-C7 woofer did physically fit in the Academy cabinet and made sound. Impedance curves were within acceptable norms. Response was fairly equivalent except a bit hot in the midrange. This is not to be misconstrued as an exact replacement of the Academy woofer, but since we're out of them, I wanted to take a stab at finding a replacment from our existing stock. The KLF-C7 is the only 8" poly woofer that we have sufficient stock of to even attempt this. The cabinets are both sealed and nearly identical internal volumes. There are significant differences in the HF horn/driver and network.

A theory might be that since this is a center speaker that a bit more in the dialog/vocal range might be acceptable. My simple listening evaluation, consisting of taking the Frankacademy home in place of my KLF-C7 proved it to be acceptable if a bit forward for music soundtracks. I did not re-YPAO it for my Yamaha, but a bit of eq might tame it within norms. Klipsch cannot divert resources for further experimentation on tweaks for this, if you want to take this further you're on your own.

Again, this is NOT a direct factory-authorized replacment. I'll be interested to hear a further review of it from someone very familiar with the Academy sound.

But you guys know I'm happy to do whatever I can for you, even if it's a bit unorthodox.

Michael

I'll be running specs of my Academy with PopBumper 'Kstack' networks in the chamber tonight. Will also do my KLF-C7 with stock networks.

This will allow us some data on the effects of using aftermarket networks with different components for these two popular center speakers. The information will probably be reported as part of the Pilgrimage program on network rebuilding.

Next up - forte II stock v Kstack.

I wonder how many Khorn networks I could amass for testing?

Thanks I am looking at doing the newtworks on all my fronts Forte II, Academy to update the old networks. I have been paying attention to the post on updating old components in these already great sounding speakers. Waiting for further information from you.