OT Driving a hybrid from Chicago to Naples FL

LocknLoad

I recently drove a Prius (rented) from Chicago to Savannah in April - got 45 MPG round trip.

Recently drove my purchased Honda Civic Hybrid from Chicago to Naples Florida. For those interested . . .

Not a sales pitch, no intent to convince anyone of anything, just numbers to chew on.

2789 miles traveled in a week

My wife, me and one of my teen aged kids with stuff for a week in Florida in the trunk.

62.10 gallons used round trip

44.9 MPG including in town MPG

(3 different tankfuls of 440+ miles at 47MPG)

$247.24 cost of gasoline round trip

62 MPH ave including stops

42.37 hours of driving

~460 miles between fill-ups

no more than 9.5 gallons at any fill-up

Leaving the SW Chicago suburbs (Orland Park IL) 1st fill up in Nashville TN, the second in Tifton GA, only two gas stops required to Naples FL.

I got slightly better MPG in the hills of KY, TN & GA than the flat terrain of Florida and Indiana.

In 2 months of driving 4950 miles I've achieved $493 in gas savings compared to the same miles driven in a 21MPG car/truck. (Assumes the same miles driven in a car/truck that averages 21MPG)

From a stop the hybrid isn't fast, once underway, acceleration is at least average, if not better. Going through the hills in Chattanooga TN, I was able to maintain speed better than most cars and trucks.

Would have been nice to have a pass through trunk (the Honda doesn't have one).

No car in the Civic class has as much room as a SUV so spreading out and sleeping was a bit on the tight side.

Speed for the trip was basically 5mph over the posted limit, so much of the trip was run at 75mph.

Truthfully, it seemed like whatever our driving style or condition, it returned basically the same mileage.

Exciting to drive? No. But consider the hybrid can drive all the way to Naples on the same amount of gas an SUV will run dry in Chattanooga on.

TWO gas stops from SW Chicago to Naples Florida, and only a 9.5 gallon fill up when you do stop?

Not bad.

Like I said, not trying to save the planet, no sales pitch, just numbers to consider.

Nice to be home and listening to my system. . .