DVD audio

matthew2

m, yes you definitely need the dvd-audio designated player to play dvd-audio formats. dvd-audio uses a compressing format called meridian lossless packaging (MLP) to squeeze the greater required info onto a dvd-audio disk. so u need that player to decode (or is

it decompress?) that format.

however, it looks like a lot of dvd-audio also have soundtracks formatted in pcm stereo (like a regular 2 channel cd uses), dts 5.1, DD 5.1 &/or other variation of these formats. any of these can be played w/ a regular player w/ a digital connection. for DD &/or dts u need those decoders either in the player or in the processor (dsp) like u probably have w/ your receiver or seperate pre/pro.

don't know on that met but it'll usually tell u in the description which formats the disk has. i've had some trouble myself finding that info for dvd-audio disks on some sites. www.dvdplanet.com seems to be pretty good for the info. not saying they're the cheapest priced site though.

if u can look at the box at a store that should tell u too.

------------------

My Home Systems Page