TV set up

wife-said-no

I have a Panasonic 32" Tau flat screen TV and I am a little currious about the best way to hook it up. The sales person told me that it had 2 rear s-video plugs and in fact it has 1 in rear and 1 in the front. My satellite has s-video and composite. My DVD player has s-video and composite also. Right now I have the coax cable running into the house and then to the satellite and VCR. Then the coax goes to the TV. On the TV I have the s-video out running to my Sony STR-DA555ES to the monitor in. Now I have the DVD s-video running to the reveiver s-video in and the satellite s-video running to the receiver s-video in. I am not even using the component cable because I don't have any equipment with component in/out. Thanks for the help. THe only requirement is that the VCR has to work with out changing video channels. Too complicated for the wife and the son. Thanks again. The homepage should be in my signature with all my equipment.

------------------

Come on honey why can't I spend some more money?

My Home Theater

Sounds like you have it hooked up fairly well. Not sure I understand everything you are talking about, though.

quote:

On the TV I have the s-video out running to my Sony STR-DA555ES to the monitor in.

S-Video out from the TV to the monitor in??? Maybe you have the monitor out from the Receiver to the S-Video in on the TV, which would be right. If you still need VCR, go out and get a S-VHS. It will make your life (and your wife and kid's life) a whole lot easier. Hook everything in with S-Video and press one button to switch.

quote:

THe only requirement is that the VCR has to work with out changing video channels.

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm sure I can help you if you explain what you're talking about.

------------------

My Home Theater

quote:

Originally posted by toddvj:

Sounds like you have it hooked up fairly well. Not sure I understand everything you are talking about, though.

On the TV I have the s-video out running to my Sony STR-DA555ES to the monitor in.

S-Video out from the TV to the monitor in??? Maybe you have the monitor out from the Receiver to the S-Video in on the TV, which would be right. If you still need VCR, go out and get a S-VHS. It will make your life (and your wife and kid's life) a whole lot easier. Hook everything in with S-Video and press one button to switch.

quote:

THe only requirement is that the VCR has to work with out changing video channels.

Not sure what you mean by this. I'm sure I can help you if you explain what you're talking about.

As for the TV, that is what I ment. As for the VCR, right now all you have to do is turn the TV on and then the VCR. You don't have to change to different video channels on the TV or the receiver.

Basically, I don't think that I am getting the best picture that I can from my satellite. That is because the coax from the satellite comes into the house, then to the satellite receiver's in, then out to the VCR in, then out to the TV. I am trying to KIS and get the best picture without too many switches. Thanks for the help.

------------------

My Home Theater

You aren't getting the best picture with your satellite because you aren't using the S-Video that you have hooked up. How often do you use your VCR? Best thing you can do is switch to Video 1 (or whichever input you have the S-Video plugged into). Then you can switch between DVD and Satellite just by switching inputs on the Receiver. One button does it all, you wouldn't even need to turn on the VCR, except when you want to use it. The only time you'd need to switch inputs on the TV is when you wanted to use (watch) the VCR. You could even record without switching, you just wouldn't see the onscreen display. To make life really easy, get an S-VHS VCR. You could then hook it up using the "Tape Loop" (VCR out to VCR in on Receiver, VCR out on Receiver to VCR in) and then you'd just press VCR on the receiver's remote to watch VCR and you'd never have to switch inputs on the TV. Hope this helps. Let me know, you can e-mail me too, if you want.

------------------

My Home Theater

I guess the big question is whether or not the TV us smart enough to tell the difference. I have my satellite hooked up to my receiver via an S-video and then an s-video to my TV. So when I switch to video 2, I can use the receiver to switch between the satellite and the DVD player. I think that it can tell because unless I turn the receiver on (when in vid 2) there is no picture. I think that I need to just make sure that everything is calibrated well and there are no loose connections. What makes it hard is that my son watches cartoon network a lot and some of the cartoons are old and bad quality. Thank you for your help again.

Mike

------------------

Home Theater

Car Audio