Denon 4802 or 3802 + poa5200?

Seb

would the amplification provided by a 4802 be as good or better than what is provided by a POA-5200 fed by a 3802?

please refrain from the "you should consider this other amp" responses, I don't have much choice, plus I think the POA-5200 is a very acceptable performer, isn't it?

but if the 4802 even comes close to what the POA-5200 is able to provide, well I think I'll bite the bullet and go with the big-*** receiver.

Before making your decision you should review the pre-out situation on the receiver and carefully plot your course of action with regards to whether you want to use 5.1/6.1/7.1 and if the provisions are there for you to do so.

Keith

Keith,

I only want preouts for the front two channels, and probably the center channel at some later time. plus, the Denon has pre outs for all channels including both pairs of surrounds and surround backs, of course. so either way I'm covered.

where were you getting at? the only bug I could foresee would be that the bass management of the Denon was not applicable to the pre-outs. now don't tell me it's not!

/edit/

you know what? I think that for now, since my room is pretty small, I'll stick with what I have and just buy the external POA-5200 amp. later on, I'll see what I'll do. besides, at the prices I'm getting the stuff at, I can probably make a profit out of reselling it!

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"

This message has been edited by Seb on 01-27-2002 at 12:25 AM

One of the more important things I would want if I were buying now would be everything that is included in the Denon 4802.I don't know why you think the amps in that receiver will not drive the RF's to spectacular SPL's.You could buy the receiver first(that is if it had the processing you wanted)and if you felt like you needed more power you could get amps later.You would have to spend much more money to get the same thing in separates.

If I wanted a good amp at a bargain price I would talk to boa.

Thats just me.And I'm lazy and cheap.Good luck anyway.

Keith

yes seb, u could wait for that new www.outlawaudio.com model 950 pre/pro to come out & put that together w/ something like my Acurus A200X5 power amp (sorry for the bias Smile.gif) & have a great seperates sys for about the same price as the 4802.

or for less $, u could get the 950 & a good 3 channel amp & use your sony receiver for the rears.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

told you, my choice is limited.

and since I live in Canada, the Outlaw would probably cost me as much as a 3802!! cwm10.gif

i'm not so much worried about the LEVEL of sound as I am about the QUALITY of amplification and separation of the amp/preamp sections. i know there are many that argue that there are no real differences, but I've seen so many threads about the benefits of separates, that I'm having serious doubts.

you're right seb - sooner or later you'll own seperates

anyway. too bad about outlaw shipping. but i just got some dvd's cheap from CAN & the shipping was free. Smile.gif that 950 looks great for that price (about half the price on my b&k ref 30 & hear outlaw sound great).

too bad they don't have something like them in CAN. like snidley whiplash audio. Smile.gif

may wanna look used for a good pre/pro. another nice thing about them is the easy upgradability on new software & hardware makes them virtually obsolete-proof.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

with the price I'm getting on the Denon stuff, no way am I even looking into others. remember, I get stuff at cost since I work in an electronics/hifi store...

------------------

'cuz not a lot of people have ever said

"Pump up the treble!"