LaScala restoration

VTXHOGG

We I ran accross of 85' LaScalas for a price I could not refuse. But the guy that had stained only on of them. So what to do I lile the blond birch but I'd have to strip both. Hmm... anyone sanded some to raw finish, or chemiclly stripped. Or would it be best to have them painted black, and what black matched the Laquer black that Kilpsch uses?

Want to do it right!

I wouldn't paint them black. But that's just me. I recently purchased a set of LaScalas that had been painted Green, under White, and then had Wallpaper on top of it all. It was quite the project.

First, no matter what anyone on here tells you, if the paint is deep enough, you will have to sand. I had everyone telling me not to sand because of the thin veneer. I didn't have a choice because the paint was very deep into the wood.

I sanded the entire speaker, got them down to the raw birch, and didn't make one mistake. This was my very first wood finishing project and I made no mistakes whatsoever. Now the speaker looks beautiful. I just applied a beautiful stain, and while most people HATE poly, I am going to apply a coat. I am also in the process of building 3 speaker grills for each speaker. Two in the bottom portion that will cover the area behind the doghouse, coming out in an angle so it will look like the top of a W. The other for the top portion.

The issues you are going to run into are the areas by the doghouse. Unless you are a woman, have a strong child, or have really little hands - the area to the left and right back of the doghouse will be next to impossible. This is the reason I am putting the speaker grills in there because I just can't sand it.

Another thing for you to consider, unless you are getting a crazy deal, I'd say it probably isn't worth the trouble. I got my LSs for 550 so to me, the price was worth it. How much are the ones you are getting selling for? You may be able to find a mint pair for that price or just a bit more.

Yeah, if you got them that cheap, fix em up. Well worth the investment. I would sand the enitre surface (be careful, it is only a veneer) and start from scratch. For that price, they must be in pretty bad shape. If one is completed, and the other is messed up - I would use chem stripper on the one to remove the stain, and sand and prep the other for the oil. Then you can oil both. What are the drivers and crossovers (what do they look like)?