possible solutions for pro sound tripod stand dolly?

Daddy Dee

OK. Here's what I'm wondering. I'd like to set up some substantial mains on standard prosound type tripod stands. I'd also like to avoid having to hoist up these heavy speakers every time they are set up. If it is a workable solution, I'd like to put the tripods on some sort of dolly with locking casters to facilitate moving them out of storage into the room.

Haven't got the stands yet, have used such before. I know they have a substantial foot print. Anyone know what are the tripod foot print measurements?

Anyone worked a solution to this before. Are there any economical commercially built dolly's. the little bit of browsing I've seen on these they look pretty pricey and I'm not sure I've found a workable solution even if an expensive one. Most of these tripod dolly units seem to be designed for a photography tripod and not something as heavy as a prosound tripod stand with speaker.

I've also been thinking that there could be a home brew solution that would be workable.

any thoughts appreciated.

post-11993-13819410922762_thumb.jpg

I've found a couple of Samson dolly units on Ebay. The legs are approx 24" in length. Don't know if these are a candidate solution or not.

They look substantial for the load they would carry. Just eyeballing this, it looks like the tripod footprint (as set up appropriately) would be larger than the tripod allows. If the tripod legs are compressed to a smaller extension, would it be wide enough to still be appropriately stable? Any help appreciated.

post-11993-13819410925016_thumb.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOO unsafe for public places. Putting a high load like a speaker on wheels is asking for trouble.

Get the Ultimate Support stand with the 'clutch grip', it makes raising and lowering the speaker a one-man job.

They call it tele-lock

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TS99B/

No more pinched fingers.

For safety (I learned this the expensive way, in photography), always spread the legs to their MAX. With the Ultimate and most other stands this is easily visualized by making certain that the leg supports are parallel to the ground. Then I always make sure to further protect the audience by pointing one leg in the direction of 'most harm', so that any fall will be in another direction. (aim one leg at the congregation)

GENERAL NOTE: The safety of the public cannot be compromised. The potential liability is enormous. Do not suspend any Klipsch speakers by the handles and always use sturdy stands for speakers in a public place. Keep cords well out of pathways or covered or well-marked. Remember Colter Rules of Photography apply here: Don't injure the models.

Besides it would ruin your gig and look terribly uncool. [H]

In my minds eye, I see a design variation of this product:

http://www.mojack.org/

Instead of having provisions for the mowers' tires, there would be a platform for the speaker to sit on. And since the footprint of the speaker jack would be some-what square, it would eliminate the unstable nature of a three point contact. Additionally, it could accomodate any number of different size speakers and hold them much more securely than a tripod.

There....I've given you my design for free. You just gotta go find someone to weld it up for you. Maybe that feller that does Crites' trailers.

Tom