Placement of RF-82

ezdriver

After years of being out of the speaker marketplace, I'm looking to upgrade my current set-up and want to purchase the RF-82's. However, I have a question concerning their placement against the wall. These speakers are rear-ported, and being that I am a bit limited on space, my question concerns how close they can be to the wall. I can place them no more than 7-inches from the wall in my current HT room, but the dealer recommends about 12-inches or they will get "boomy". Of those who have the 82's, what kind of spacing do you have and do you feel that 7-inches is too close? Thanks.

I didn't mention in my original post that I don't have a Sub, so everything will be going to my 5.0 set-up. I'm also trying to stay with the floor standing fronts. If I can't play the 82's in my current location I just might have to move everything to the basement and set up a little HT room. Hmmmm....[;)].

Thanks for the ideas, though.

ez

When I get my new RF-82's for the Fronts, I was thinking of moving my existing KG-4.5's to the back as my surrounds. Those are fairly big speakers for use as a surround but I have read where other people use the same type of set-up. So, is there anything I should do or be aware of when I set those big KG's up to the rear?

Of my limited experience with my new 82's (had them about a week), I'd say 7 inches is pushing it... Especially since you'll be relying on them to do all the low frequency work. Don't get me wrong, they're more than up to the task, but in my experience those ports need significant room to breathe. I moved my speakers the day I got them because room I intended to put them in had problems with bass traps. Since moving them to a more open location, the lower end is much tighter and less "boomy". Good luck!

Thanks for the input, Veyron. [:)] I finally decided to solve my dilemma by moving everything to the finished basement where I'll have plenty of space for speaker placement.

I auditioned these speakers the other day and really liked what I heard. I also found them at Vann's for a good price....so it won't be long before they're "singing for papa".

ez