Receiver choices and questions

Imitation

Hey guys long time lurker first time poster,

Through some events that have transpired over the last year since I bought my original yamaha 1700, yamaha has decided to finally replace it with a new 1800 instead. Without going into those issues, I would like your guys' opinion on a thought I had recently.

Right now I'm rolling a pair of RVX-54's that were VERY on sale last year which is also when i bought the 1700. Now the 54's are pretty nice, but I guess i've got the upgrade itch. The wife won't let me spend another 5-600 bucks on speakers to replace the 54's with say RF-82's or 63's, BUT if I maybe try to swing a deal with the local shop to keep the 1800 and maybe give me a 863 or 663 and some store credit I might be able to swap out the 54's and still keep the wife from blowing a gasket.

One other thing to keep in mind is that I've currently got a pretty capable sub to go with them, an Epik Valor, so the bottom end that the 54's lack is more than covered by it. Also, I'm not really looking to go to 5.1 right now, the living room isn't setup very well for it and the current tv stand doesn't even have room for a RC-52. :(

So, If it were you guys, would you attempt to cut a deal and come home with less receiver but maybe RF-82's or 63's or take home the 1800 and call it a day?

Thanks guys!

First, welcome to the forum. A few months ago I just about pulled the trigger on a pair of RVX-54's. Found them used on Audiogon for $600.00/pair in black. At the same time on the same page I noticed an ad for a pair of 1 1/2 year old cherry RF-63's. I e-mailed the seller and we agreed on $1000.00 if I would pick up(he lives 10 miles down the road). He ended up boxing them up and delivering to my house on Memorial Day weekend. Great guy. To make a long story even longer, if the 63's or 82's are a serious consideration if you can cut a deal, then do it. I do not think the Yamaha 863 lacks much compared to the 1800, besides that the Klipsch towers will still sing with much less power. If later on you think the amp in the 863 is lacking, buy a used 2 channel or multichannel exterior amp, hook to the receivers pre-outs and sit back and listen. I bought my B&K 200w for $100.00. There are great deals to be had on the used market for amps.

Bill

Yeah that's what I got the 54's for last year except the dealer only had silver which wasn't bad considering they were less than half msrp and brand new. I'm leaning toward trying to cut a deal like you said and see if I can possibly get a set of 63's since I can get the full value I paid for the 54's from my brother since he's interested in expanding his living room toys now that he's got a sweet tv but only tv speakers. I'd love to just get the low end 663 and go external amp sometime down the road, but there's TONS of different amp brands out there, I've really go no idea what is a good deal and what isn't right now. But I can tackle that later. Thanks for your input!

Going with the 663(95w) would be fine also. The 63's are very efficient and sound very good powered by my Onkyo 705(100w). I bought the amp because the price was too low to pass up. A good used amp can be found from 250 to 600 dollars on Audiogon.com. Here are some reliable names I hear tossed around often: Adcom, B&K, Parasound, Rotel, etc. Determine your budget and ask the forum to suggest an amp in your price range.

Bill