A Spade is a Spade is a Spade??????

MacKlipsch

One and for all folks...is there any difference in the qualitiy of different brands and types of spades as far as connectivity. I think I've solved the problem of fitting the large guage wire in the spades that will fit onto the #6 screws that is used in Klipsch crossovers, Al's custom ones, and old Mcintosh amps with terminal blocks. I've got the cheapies from Lowe's described in the thread below (Klipschorn Crossover connections--ALK) by Al. I also got some from Parts Express as suggested (gold colored material, but really gippo) and got some that Monster makes (that are a tad too wide, but can be grinded to fit), and also some from Audioquest that are a real ***** to make fit the larger guage wire. The ones that crimp the best, fit the wire best, and fit the #6 screws best are the gippo ones from Lowe's. I don't know what material they are (tin colored, but at $5 for 50, I'm guessing not silver (lol). OKKKK, so here's the yes/no question. Connectively speaking only, any difference between the gold more expensive spades and the Lowe's ones?

I doubt if you would be able to measure any resistance differances between them. I have put 10's of thousands of them on, the big secret, a proper crimping tool. The cheap ones do not do a very good job. Klein makes an OK one for around $20, a mil-spec crimper runs over $100.

Derek

This is going to relate to electrical installations, as covered under the National Fire Protection Act. Looking at the back of a box of spade connectors you will see specific applications they can be used in, as well as a specific tool for putting them on. Any deviances from the manufactures applications and prodcedures results in violation of the NFPA and if you are doing work for the military, would be rejected.

A "legal" crimper is approved by the manufacturer of the spade lug, applies just the right amount of pressure, not too much, not too little.

Derek

The only thing i would worry about with the cheapies is how they would react with the gold on the binding posts/whatever connection. I believe tin and gold is the big no-no, which may be what those joe-blow crimps are made of. Besides, the better crimps don't cost that much more, is it really worth it not to do it "right" the first time? Don't mean to step on any toes here, i'm just very picky about that kinda stuff - why spend loads of $ on good speakers and components and then go cheap on the connectors, ya know?

-Rich