Velodyne DLS-5000R's or Rythmik DS1500's

jdm56

Which would be the best? I would probably have to build the boxes for the Rythmiks, but I can buy the drivers and amps for just under $1000/pair. The Velodynes, if I could get'em discounted might be that cheap, but they would probably be a bit more, maybe in the $1200-$1400/pair range or higher. Regardless of price, which is the best and will have more clean output in the 40-80Hz range?

THANKS!

Personally I'd go with the pair of 15" Rythmik's. I have a pair of the precurser model to the DLS5000R and they aren't a bad sub. They sound good with music and will probably be a little louder than the Rhythmik's between 40 and 80hz. They don't go deep though. Output starts dropping like a rock below 30hz and there is a bit of useable output at 25hz. Below that forget it. The rythmik's should have good response down to 16hz or lower and will kill the velo's at HT. The Rythmik's also have a reputation for really high SQ, but I have no personal experience with them.

For the price range you are looking at there are a ton of good options... A pair of AV123 MFW15's, pair of Epik Valor's or Knights, single Epik Tower, maybe squeeze out an extra bit of cash and go for a SVS PB13 Ultra, or Epik Conquest [:P].

The Rythmik 15" beats the Velodyne SPL1500...nevermind a poor DLS-5000R. Not even a close match,be it sound quality(accurate bass),extension(below 25Hz where the DLS loses steam faster than a punctured steam locomotive) or parts quality.

Rythmik's drivers are very close to TC Sounds TC-1000 series drivers,means quality is TOP NOTCH. Plus the servo amp/driver in the Rythmik puts it close to the Velo DD series.

Not even a hard choice here,easy GO for Rythmik.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input.

System is my main 2-channel rig (music only). I want subs to keep up with my LSII's, at least above 40Hz and preferably down to 30Hz. I'm not too concerned below that.

I believe the Velodyne DLS series are high-passed at 24Hz, so they're not really going for the deep stuff -the driver would probably self-destruct!

I've not checked out Epik, but I will!