Khorn crossover capacitors + harshness problem

idahodewitt

Thanks for the tip, I’ll check it out. The squawker has no low pass on it that I can see but it rolls off quite nicely at 6 kHz as seen on the graph above. I’m sure everybody knows this but if you click on the graph it is much easier to see.

Here’s another. The lower trace is continuous pink noise at 90db SPL and the top is a quick sweep that is supposed to eliminate room interactions. The speaker is pulled out from the corner and the mic is about 3’ from the tweeter.

post-34294-13819435737692_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more picture if I may. This is with a 4th order high pass on the tweeter. 2uF>125uH>4uF>900uH. The interaction has been further reduced and the 1/24 octave resolution still looks pretty bad. Smoothing to 1/3 octave resolution doesn’t look bad at all other than the high frequency peak, it’s within +/- 1db through the crossover region. This is an order of magnitude better than the stock values which had the tweeter and midrange overlapping at full strength from 4 kHz to 6 kHz. The proof is in the sound though so I’ll have to see if I like it better. Now I have to wind another 900uH coil for the other side.

post-34294-13819435739812_thumb.jpg