modifying kg5.5's

slovell

Hi Sam,

The KG-5.5 is a very nice speaker, not alot of modifications for it that I am aware of.

You might try:

1) making sure the motorboards are still glued tight, the KG and KLF series of that time had glue problems.

2) consider different capacitors in the crossovers to change the sound a bit.

3) change out the diaphrams in the horns to titanium units

You might contact Bob Crites (BEC on this forum). He is a resident speaker upgrader and upgrade supplier (crossovers, diaphragms). He would know if anyone would, about what is possible with your speakers.

Aside from modifying the 5.5s, do you have options for other additions, like a subwoofer, surround speakers, etc, or are you committed to a 2-ch stereo setup? Even with a 2-ch stereo arrangement, there aren't many that wouldn't sound better with a good subwoofer. A sub can more ably reproduce the lowest frequencies than full range speakers, and can be set to take some of the difficult low bass load off your main speakers, which should then be able to put out better, less distorted mid-bass and higher freqs.

i've already got a sub, paradigm ps-1000, klipsch sorrounds and center channel, adcom gfa-7000 amp. i like the idea of the titanium diaphagms. if what i've read is correct, they should go a little higher and smooth out the highs somewhat. i think i'd be happy with that. thanks for all the help folks. sam